Question

Honor Student
Lt_Dan
Message 1 of 6 (109 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

Wait, so from what I've learned, is that I should give up and buy a new printer... Should I take this thing apart and clean it's insides? Any one have any suggestions on good affordable printers?

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 2 of 6 (103 Views)

Re: My 5510 photosmart printer will not print black any longer, I have tried everything !

@Lt_Dan

Is your printer within warranty? Can I ask, are you based in the US?

Thanks

Ciara

Black not printing on PS 5510 - troubleshooting steps

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=ie&lc=en&docname=c03425035

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Teacher
Photokool
Message 3 of 6 (85 Views)

If your printer is not in warranty, and if your print head is removeable, you may be able to clean it by taking it out and running warm water over it. If your print head is not removeable, you may be able to try a small amount of heated alcohol and placing something underneath to soak up the alcohol and ink. There are Youtube videos on some suggestions, so search for that.

My Photosmart printer failed just under two years even though I only used HP inks. I'm still waiting for some kind of official response through the forum. I can't recommend calling HP customer service based on previous experience with my HP laptop, but you can try it if you have some time to burn.

In doing more research on printers in the meantime, it appears that Epson printers have similar issues, too, especially with using a lot of ink to try to clean the print heads. And my other recommendation is that printers with separate ink colors sound like a good idea, but many times you can't print at all if the software thinks one of the colors are low. So having more ink tanks really increases your cost rather than lowers it. Every time you turn your printer on, more ink is lost from all colors to "clean."

I'm still searching for the answer, too. It may be that I just need to give up printing in color at home!

Teacher
Photokool
Message 4 of 6 (82 Views)

And don't spend a lot of time running print head cleaning cycles. I had put in a new cyan cartridge, and after about six "cleans" the ink was already reading low, so I burned a whole $12 cartridge just for that!

Honor Student
Lt_Dan
Message 5 of 6 (79 Views)

Yeah it was purchased over two years ago and no extended warranty was purchased. It's been running perfect until yesterday when it would not print black. After buying a new cartridge, and doing all the steps provided on the hp support page, still no luck. Wasted $30 on 564XL cartridge.

Teacher
Photokool
Message 6 of 6 (76 Views)

I had the same exact issue. Worked fine for almost two years, then a few pages with some streaks, then no black ink at all. Not a gradual thing, just suddenly. Put in a new cartridge, still no black. Even tried a second new cartridge, and also replace the cyan that was low. Lots of ink wasted.

With all the printouts from the print head cleanings (maybe 10 pages), the brand-new cyan cartridge was already saying low ink when I had not printed ANYTHING out except those test pages.

Really unbelievable!

Most of the responses on this forum keep directing you to try "several" cleaning cycles, but all that does is drain ink from ALL the cartridges.

I'm really beginning to think that it is this "cleaning" process that leads to an ongoing performance loss for each cartridge that is replaced. My first set of cartridges lasted a long time. As the ink builds up and starts to clog, the printer keeps trying to sending more ink to "clean" the print heads. After a while, the printer can't clean at all, and the print head is totally blocked -- usually the black first because it is used the most. The cleaning process probably uses more ink than anyone could ever believe, but I'm sure HP tech people know this.

Instead of telling people to use INK cartridges to clean, they should develop a real "cleaning" cartridge with alcohol (like a tape head cleaner ) than could unclog the heads -- would make more sense. But then people would not be buying as much ink nor would they need a new printer every two years.

The part of me that really tries to recycle and reuse whenever possible is just appalled at the idea of all those relatively new printers heading for a landfill!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation