Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My printer won't print in black, only gray. I can't figure out how to clean the printheads as suggested in this forum. I don't have a tab for "Maintenance" or "Services" when I right click on the printer and select Properties. There's no control panel on the machine itself. How do I clean the print head? I have Windows Vista. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I figured it out. For the record, this is what I needed to do to install the HP Solution Center on my computer.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02463264

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello estewart1443. I understand you would like assistance in regards to cleaning the printheads. I have provided an HP document which contains information on two different cleaning methods you can attempt: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00389192

Please inform me when you complete this troubleshooting. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the reponse but I can't do either of these suggestions. I don't have a

HP printer control panel on the machine or the HP solutions center on my computer. When I search for HP or Hewlett Packard nothing comes up. What am I missing? Someone gave me this printer recently so I have no documentation or CD software relating to it. Is there a way to download this?

Thanks!

Elizabeth

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. To assist you further, I do require the operating system of the computer you are utilizing.

For assistance in locating a Windows operating system, please reference this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows/which-operating-system

For assistance in locating a Mac operating system, please reference this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1633

Please respond as soon as possible so I can assist you.

Mario

HP Recommended

Windows Vista Home Premium, service pack 2, 64-bit operating system

HP Recommended

I'm just re-reading the documents, and I am unsure how you are unable to clean the printheads. What exactly happens when you follow these steps from the document:

1. Make sure that plain paper is loaded in the input tray.
  2. Press the 4-way arrow button to select Settings and press OK .
  3. Use the arrow buttons or to select Tools and press OK .
  4. Use the arrow buttons or to select Clean Printhead and press OK .
Also, what happens when you try these steps:

1. Make sure that the paper is loaded in the input tray.
  2. Depending on the operating system, use one of these procedures to open HP Solution Center .
    • Windows Vista: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click Programs , click Hewlett-Packard or HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
    • Windows XP: On the Windows taskbar, click Start , click All programs , click Hewlett-Packard or HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
  3. In the HP Solution Center, click Settings .
  4. Select Print Settings and click Printer Toolbox .
  5. Click the Device Services tab.
  6. Select Clean the Printhead and click OK .
  7. After cleaning, print a self-test page. Follow these steps to print a self-test page.
    1. Press the 4-way arrow button to select Settings and press OK .
    2. Press or to select Tools and press OK .
    3. Press to select Print test page and press OK . The self-test page prints.

Please respond as soon as possible.

Mario

HP Recommended

Look, I'm sorry to be difficult but I'm repeating myself here. Neither of those steps are working for me. One, there is no 4-way arrow button on my machine. Where is it? I've attached a photo of what buttons are on the printer and I don't see any way to access the Settings and Tools. Am I missing something?

Also, when I search for "HP" or Hewlett Packard on my computer nothing comes up. Like I said, I downloaded the driver from the internet since I was given the printer and don't have any other software or documentation loaded on my computer. Is there a way to download this from the internet?

Thanks

HP Recommended

C3180.gif

HP Recommended

I figured it out. For the record, this is what I needed to do to install the HP Solution Center on my computer.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02463264

HP Recommended

Will cleaning the print heads solve my copying problem. When I try to copy the sheet

comes out blank.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.