printing in black and white on photosmart c7250 all-in-one (1293 Views)
Honor Student
marge2011
Message 1 of 4 (1,293 Views)

printing in black and white on photosmart c7250 all-in-one

My C7250 used to allow me to print using the black cartridge only regardless of the status of any of the color cartridges.  I only had to change my print job properties to grayscale, black only.  Now it refuses to print using the black cartridge only and demands that I replace color cartridges.  How can I get back to where I was using the black cartridge only?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 4 (1,289 Views)

Re: printing in black and white on photosmart c7250 all-in-one

[ Edited ]

The C7250 has permanant printheads that can be damaged if one or more of the inks is allowed to run too low.  While the printer will operate in Black Only mode if the colors are low, at some point printing will be blocked when the suppllies get too low.  You will need to replace the empty color supply.

HP printers with Integrated Printheads (IPH) typically allow printing with empty or even missing supplies.  See here for information on how ink is used.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Student
highstone333
Message 3 of 4 (1,232 Views)

I've experienced the same change.

HP "updated" it's drivers recently - so I suspect this is just crookery to get us to buy more ink.

What it has done instead is infuriated me, as I'd just invested in 4 XL black cartriges (I only need to print black).

I am now shopping for a new printer - NOT HP brand.

They have lost me as a customer with this trickery.

Student
W_Freefurhall
Message 4 of 4 (1,095 Views)

Not printing from a full black cartridge when a single color cartridge is out...REDICULOUS!  If there is any legitimacy to the claim about print head damage occuring if printing is permitted with a cartridge empty, it should say so IN LARGE BOLD LETTERS ON THE PRINTER BOX, so shoppers can weigh the exclusive beauty only HP ink can provide vs the practicality of being able to print in black when color is not a priority.  

This takes versatility right out of this multi-non-functional printer!  What a scam.  Instead of buying new ink, I will buy another NON-HP Printer...and will warn anyone I can to NEVER buy HP.  Because of this chicanery, I won't be buying any other HP products in the future.  I'll be advising my clients and trade groups to do the same.  Fellow victims, get the word out!

P.S. I've also seen threads about the color ink having a very limited shelf life. So, even if you are frugal about your color printing, the cartridge will cease to dispense after its preprogrammed death-date REGARDLESS of how much ink may be in the cartridge.  Again, this is in no way obvious on the HP packaging or marketing literature. Any folks in the legal field out there know if there is any precedent for a class action law suit?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation