Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I print to booklet, either printing pdfs from Acrobat Reader or a browser or two, or printing music notation from Finale 14.5, the printer decides that I need margins of about 0.75 inch on the left and the right. In order to preserve the aspect ratio, the printer kindly reduces my document, giving me lots of beautiful white space, but music notation that is hard to read. I can increase the size of my notation before printing, but since I'm trying to produce usable archive copies for my own use as well as proof copies before I send my music to a printer for multiple copies, I need a WYSIWYG printer, not one where I have to mutilate my document to get a readable copy (and then there are those large left and right margins that are going to force me to make documents with more pages...and more page turns! Anathema for a musician).

And I'm not going to start on the problems printing a concert program from Word--not until I decide whether it's worth keeping this otherwise wonderful printer.

My question, then: Can I get smaller left and right margins? The Brother printer I'm considering as a substitute has margins of 0.12 inch, as well as an adjustable offset for gutter. Can HP match this, or should I just return my printer? I have 30 years of music manuscripts I'm working with; reformatting them all is not a choice. If I need to switch to a more expensive printer or a laser printer, just say so.

Thanks in advance for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Thanks for your questions about the OfficeJet Pro 7740.  According to the documentation in the following link this printer is capable of Borderless printing.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05216524

(pdf manual) then follow the link on page 144 for print margins

http://www.hp.com/embed/sfs/doc?client=IWS-eLP&lc=en&cc=us&ProductNameOID=7682228&TapasOnline=PRODUC...

You will have to make sure you choose the paper size in the printer settings along with the page setup in the appplication you are using.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

Have you tried using the 'Scale' and 'Fit to page size' settings when you open File > Print or Print Preview? Locations of these settings vary depending on the program you are using, but you can try experimenting with them to see if the margins adjust to your needs.

Then in the Print window in the app you are printing from, click the Properties or Printer Preferences button to open the print settings included with the HP driver you installed for your printer. Look for a Layout tab and an Advanced button to see if your driver has any further settings for changing the margins and turning off borderless printing. 

For some apps, you might need to fiddle with the Layout and margin settings there before using the printer's driver settings. 

Go to HP Printers - Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows) for an overview of driver settings and where to find them.

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. Borderless printing has to be turned off for booklet printing, so that solution doesn't work, alas! When I set Borderless printing, I get an error message:

Selection conflicts were encountered. Would you like them auto-resolved?

Borderless Printing: On

Booklet Left binding

Pages per sheet: 2

Paper type: Plain Paper

I need a solution that goes beyond the manual (which nowhere states what the unprintable area size is, so the manual itself is flawed) and, apparently, the standard driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I have tried the scale and fit to page settings before making my post. They helped...a little bit. I'll take a look at your link to driver settings.

HP Recommended

Thanks to those who offered suggestions for solving my problem. I followed up the various links and suggestions, even if I'd been there before, to no avail. I also spent a couple of hours in a chat session that didn't go as well as this forum post. It's clear to me that the 7740, as nice as it is, cannot handle anything beyond casual, occasional booklet-making.

Since I need a printer that can handle booklets in a more professional way, I'm giving up on the 7740. I may also have to give up on HP, at least inkjets, since this border issue seems to occur on more than one printer. It's been an interesting, if frustrating, week.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.