Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Each time I try print a document after a period of time and the printer has gone into sleep or standby mode, my mac indicates that the print job is on hold as the printer is offline. The only way I have figured out to resolve this issue to date is to shut the printer down and then restart it.

Is there a more efficient way to solve this problem?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

What printer?

How is it connected?  If networked, what router?

What version of OS X?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

HP3050A - All in One

Connected at home via a Huawei router ( Echolife HG 520c)

OS X 10.6.8

HP Recommended

OK, it is likely your router.  Let's see if we can work around its limitations:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

Finally, reset the printing system:

- Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
- Right (or control) click in the rectangle listing your printers and select Reset Printing System.
WARNING - this will delete ALL of your printers!
- Select the plus sign to re-add a printer. Select the Defualt tab on the top of the window. Look for the printer, select it and wait until the "Add" button becomes available. Click it.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I am frustrated.  Install Reinstall.  Printer works until it goes to sleep and then it says"offline" Have to start it again by shutting down and then start.

HP Recommended

printerwon'tprint; says "looking for printer". printer offline.

HP Recommended

envy 114 ... off line

mac book pro

HP Recommended

envy 114

router conection is ok

mack book pro

@PrintDoc wrote:

What printer?

How is it connected?  If networked, what router?

What version of OS X?

envy 114  router conection is ok  version osx 10.9

HP Recommended

Hi epasco,

I understand that you are having an issue with your printer going offline. I will do my best to help you resolve this issue. Could you please follow the steps in this document for 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the Printer Will Not Print.

I hope this helps, let me know.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I'm a bit tired of persons claiming they work for HP asking inane questions before they attempt to answer the question. Here is a classic example.  While this info will be of interest it isn't necessary to supply an answer should this HP employee is trained in this wide system problem. Let's move on...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.