Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 6830 All-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

After paying my balance of my HP Instant Ink, the representative there could not clear my screen to be able for me to print. After I hung up with HP Ink my printer started to read different error messages.  The first message said that I was to put more paper in the tray.  Then the error message read "Close Tray - A paper tray is open" .  I removed the tray, put additional paper in it, and correctly put it back, but the message did not clear.  I did this several times and then tried to reboot the printer by unplugging it and also the router.  I finally called HP Support and the assistant I spoke with tried to help me but I finally had to hang-up and the problem is still there.  Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @Gale11 – Greetings!

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to be of your assistance 🙂

Going through your post, I see that the printer is not working properly. To assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

If the copy is also not working, try to perform a power drain as suggested below:

• Remove the cartridges from the printer.
  • With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Remove USB cable, if present.
  • Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.
  • Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now, try making a copy and check.

If the issue persists, I need to know few details regarding your Instant ink account to help you fix the issue.
Since the instant ink account details are confidential, please send me the required information via private message.

I am sending you a private message, simply reply to the message with the information needed. Please check the mailbox icon at the top right corner of your screen to access your inbox.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my printer except it was not after ink change. I do not particiapte in auto refill program. It occured after I printed a test page (after connecting my printer to WiFi). I tried all the steps you listed (with and without cartridges removed) and still not go. Any suggestions? 

HP Recommended

Hello, @Shawn614

Thanks for stopping by the Forums! - I'd like to help 🙂

To assist you with the issue, I need to know the following details:

1) What is the printer model that you are using? 

2) Where do you see the message? Is it on the printer control panel or on the PC?

Also, try to make a copy of the printer. Follow the steps here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2281791-2076363-16  

Let me know if the printer makes a copy.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Folllowed your steps 3 times and it di not resolve the issue

HP Recommended

Remove cartriges   ???No where does it say replace them,you go to print?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.