Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

Background: New printer, Could not install driver on Windows 7 (64-bit), no antivirus, no firewall, and OS is updated to latest, printer frimware is also the latest), setting up printer to use USB connection.

I recently bought a new HP LaserJet Pro MFP M26nw printer and couldn't use the printer because I am having difficulty installing the required driver on my computer. I am trying to setup to use USB connection printing.

1. I had tried installing the driver using the CD provided and from the installer downloaded from HP website, both method failed as I encounter an error "An install operation took too long to execute. This is a fatal error preventing product use. Please restart your computer, and run this installer again. If the problem persistss, please check the product support website for your product" - See attached screenshots.

2. I have also tried downloading the native printer driver and try to install from device manager, also failed. "Windows encorunter a problem installing the driver software for your device. The driver cannot be installed because it is either not digitally signed or not signed in the appropriate manner." - I have tried to disable windows checks on signed code, but still could not install the driver via device manager.

Some troubleshooting and observation to help diagnose the problem:

- I tried installing the driver on another PC running Windows 10 64 bit. And it works perfectly fine.

- Could not install the driver on Windows 7 64 bit, for USB connection.

- Was able to install driver to use Wireless connection instead. - but could not install to use USB printing (i need to use USB printing only)

- Tried both CD and installer from online HP website, both method do not work.

- I have tried to clean install, uninstall, and install again, but still cannot work.

Please advice.

This process took 15-20 min before it shows an errorThis process took 15-20 min before it shows an errorerror cannot install driver, tried restart but still doesn't workerror cannot install driver, tried restart but still doesn't workno driver foundno driver found

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

A such will likely occour due to conflicting printer drivers, as I can see from your screenshot you do have additional HP print queues exists.

Please follow these steps and check for any difference:

1. From Devices and Printers, right click and select Remove Device for ANY listed HP printer and restart yoru PC.
  2. Right click the Start menu and select Run, then type printui.exe /s and press OK.
  3. Within the Drivers tab select ANY listed HP printers, click Remove and select the 2nd option to Remove driver and driver package, then press OK and complete any prompt.
  4. Once there are no morte HP printers listed close any opened window, run the installation and check for any difference.

Please let me know the resutls,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have cleared all HP related driver as per you suggested. I uninstalled all HP drivvers from Control Panel programs/software, Devices and Printers, and have checked printui.exe /s to make sure no more HP related driver.

I have also checked regedit.exe to make sure no more HP printer driver related is there. Because I install the driver again, I make sure to restart the system and make sure %temp% and programdata folder has cleared out.

I proceed to install the driver to setup a USB connection but still failed. Below are the screenshots. Please advice.

It's weird if Windows 7 doesn't support this driver. I have tried both online package and CD, both doesn't work.

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNGUSB connectionUSB connectionConnect cable when toldConnect cable when toldstart processingstart processingwhile the software is still installing, we got this errorwhile the software is still installing, we got this errordive in to have a lookdive in to have a lookfrom 1% to 99% took about 15 to 20 minutes. And the software load at 99% for about another 15min before it throw an error (see next screenshot)from 1% to 99% took about 15 to 20 minutes. And the software load at 99% for about another 15min before it throw an error (see next screenshot)error!!!!!!!!!error!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed informatiom, it seems as your operating system incorrectly staging the drivers..

Please run the installation once again and plug the USB once prmpt to do so.

Once you plug the USB and the printer appears in the Other Devices category, right click the printer name and select Update Driver Software.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click the Start button and type %temp% into the search bar, then open the shown Temp folder.

Open the latest HP installation folder which begins with 7z (e.g. 7zs1234)

Left click the top address bar white area and then its path will be highlight, right click it and select Copy.

Return to the Update Driver windows within the device manager and paste that address, press Next and follow the steps on screen. it should now update the printer and allow the installation to continue.

Please let me know how it goes,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi,

1. The %temp% doesn't have the folder that you mentioned.

I followed the steps strictly and once I connect my USB when told to do so, I go to %temp% and didn't see any folder mentioned. Please see below screenshot.

2. I have also tried myself manually download the basic driver and hope to get it installed using deive manager, but also cannot work! 😞

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M25-M27 Series PCLm Driver Only (no Installer)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-m25-m27-series/9365411/model/93...

😞

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

HP Recommended

Ok, it seems as it extracts to a different path than most pritners...

Please repeat these steps but by browsing to its installation path below instead:

C:\HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M25-M27

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Below are the methods that I have tried but it doesn't work.

1. Download installer package HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M25-M27_full_solution_16103.exe from HP and Update driver software (install drivers via device manager) - pointed the location to C:\HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M25-M27 after the installer runs and connected the USB when instructed. - Failed. See below screenshot.

2. Tried downloading HP LaserJet Pro MFP M25-M27 Series PCLm Driver Only (no Installer) and extract to the default location C:\HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M25-M27. The result is still the same. (see below screenshot). - Tried an alternative way which I went into Let me piick from a list of device drivers on my computer, still cannot install the driver.

3. Used installer CD and update driver software (install driver via device manager) - pointed the location to the CD. But still failed the installation.

4. Tried to manually add printer via Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers but still failed.

5. Tried letting Windows to install driver natively via Windows Update searches. No driver found.

6. Every methods we tried is with clean installed, we ensured temp, programdata, c:\, regedit, device manager, programs control panel is cleared before we tried each method. but everything just don't work. it's been a week and i can't use my newly bought printer. HP should review their driver installation process. It should not be this difficult to install a driver! - Contacted HP, but the response were just too slow!

2.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.