Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color Laserjet Pro MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The printer worked OK with a new Windows 10 machine for 6 months at which point something changed, so only although scanning still worked, requested prints just got stuck in the queue.  After a few weeks, something else changed and printing was restored.  Unfortunately that only continued for a couple of weeks.  For the past three months it  has only been possible to print from Windows 7 or Window 8.1 machines.

I have deleted all signs of the drivers from the Windows 10 machine following guidance posted by HP on 18 January 2017 (to AnnP_2017).  I then reinstalled the drivers. As on previous occasions when trying this approach, it was unsuccessful.  The test page does not print.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Majik001,

Thanks for the update,

I understand you have followed the steps and still the printing goes to the queue, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document for Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows) - Click here

Please respond to this post with the results of your troubleshooting. I'll look forward to hearing from you,

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Majik001,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

I understand you are having printing issues using your HP LaserJet 277dw printer on Windows 10. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

How is the printer connected (USB/Wired/Wireless)?

Are you able to make copies from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a Hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test document and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

Let’s try to fix this issue by doing a clean install. Follow the steps mentioned below:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP LaserJet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/LES/M277/HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M277-full-solution-15343.exe and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable only when prompted.

Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I can confirm that the printer is connnected wirelessly.  It is functioning correctly in terms of copying and printing from Windows 7 andWindows 8.1 laptops.  Scanning to the Windows 10 PC is no problem but any prints that are requested go into the print qeue and stay there.  So printing a test page does not work - although using the PC instruct the printer to print and internal test page is successful.  The Windows 10 machine has no problem printing to a cheap old Espson printer that I hav had to resurrect while the higher quality HP one is not working for me.

As I suggested in my original message I did a clean install yesterday following the instructions that were reproduced in his reply by Biswajeet.

I can only assume that there is a setting in Windows 10 which is conflicting with the HP software and stoppping successful printing.

HP Recommended

Hi @Majik001,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have the printer successfully connected to the network, unfortunately you are still having issues printing. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help to resolve the issue,

Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press OK.

Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties" 

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".

Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.

Restart your computer and then try to print.

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have followed the instructions, but there was no change - documents for printing still go into the print queue where they remain.

on rececking the permissions on the secutiry tab for PRINTERS I was successful in giving full permissions to SYSTEM; Administrators; Users and myself.  It seems that the user anemd "CREATOR OWNER" cannot be assigned any permissions - if they are all ticked, and "applied", they all revert to an empty tick box.

HP Recommended

Hi @Majik001,

Thanks for the update,

I understand you have followed the steps and still the printing goes to the queue, I would suggest you follow the steps suggested in the support document for Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows) - Click here

Please respond to this post with the results of your troubleshooting. I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your guidance.  The problem appears to have been tracked down to my McAfee LiveSafe firewall, although the same software on the Windows 7 laptop did not have the same effect!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.