Question

Student
Message 1 of 4 (2,095 Views)

HP 4500 Print Wirelessly Without Router

I just purchased an HP Pavillion dm4 notebook and an HP Officejet 4500 Wireless printer.

My Question is: Can you print wirelessly from the notebook to the printer directly, without going through a router?

The two will be set up in a small office that doesn't have any network connections, so no need for a router.

Tom

Regents Professor
Message 2 of 4 (2,078 Views)

Re: HP 4500 Print Wirelessly Without Router

It is possible, but you're better of connecting the printer by the USB cable. It's just more convenient to maintain a USB connection than a PC-to-printer wireless connection. If you still want to connect it wirelessly, let me know.

I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.
Student
Message 3 of 4 (1,954 Views)

Hello,

I do not use a wireless router for my internet connection.  I am using a usb key (sim card) mobile connection.   Please explain how I can setup a wireless connection with my HP 4500 wireless printer?  I cannot use a cable connection.

My computer is an Apple Macbook Air.

Thank you.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 4 (1,633 Views)

I am trying to do the same with a 6500 on a small group of XP desktops.  We have no wireless router, the PC's have wireless adapters, the PC's are hardwired for their internet access.

I am looking to do a peer-to-peer connection of the 6500 Officejet using the wireless connection on the printer and the wireless adapters on the PC's.  I am only looking to connect 3 PC's to this printer for very light use.  When I try to install the software for the 6500 using a wireless connection type it does not discover the printer.  I have the wireless on, and a manual IP address installed on the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation