Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hi @Jerryg50,

I see that you are having the same issue with the printer not waking up. You have the Laserjet M276 model.

I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

Setup a Static IP address. Printer Does Not Maintain a Wireless Connection.

Go to Solution three: Assign the printer a static IP address. (try it without a fixed IP)

Update the printer's firmware. HP LaserJet Pro 200 color MFP M276nw Drivers.

I can send you reset for the printer in a private message to also try.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836 if the issue persists. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Have a wonderful day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Replacement printer was identical same sleep issue. This was without the latest firmware that I updated the previous one with. I even tried disconnecting the network. After about 30 minutes same again, wouldn't wake from sleep. So I returned it for a refund and have bought a Lexmark Colour Laser instead.

Thanks
Plasma
HP Recommended

Hi __Plasma__,

I am sorry to hear that you had the same issue with the exchanged printer.

Thanks for letting me know.

Happy Holidays!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I too have had this issue with my M251n for quite some time (just haven't had time to research it until now).  I have the exact same symptoms and none of the recommended solutions work.

Infuriating.

HP Recommended

just to confirm the latest Firmware Update has solved the issue

if I remember correctly it where someday in December when it came out

HP Recommended
I don't know what to make of that. About once a week I go through the touchscreen menu on the printer, navigate to the firmware section, and tell it to check for an update (I just did this last night in fact). It always reports back with a big green check mark that no firmware updates were located.

The current firmware datecode on my printer is: 20140521.

Another thing I find to be very frustrating is that HP's support site now seems to only have information about software and drivers - not firmware. I tried going there just to confirm that I have the most recent firmware, but I literally could locate zero information about the firmware.

Anyway, I suppose the question is: If my printer is hooked up with internet access but, for whatever reason, still incorrectly arrives at the conclusion that it already has the most recent firmware installed, how do I go about downloading the firmware that was released in DEC14 and installing it onto the printer?
HP Recommended

Hi @gadgetz ,

I checked online to see what the newest firmware for the printer is, the latest firmware is 20150212.

HP LaserJet Pro 200 color Printer M251 Series Firmware Enhancements and Fix List for Datecode 20150212.

This firmware update includes the following enhancements and fixes:Contains all previous fixes and enhancements.

Fixes a potential vulnerability issue (CVE-2014-3566) also known as the POODLE SSL v3.0 vulnerability.
This release addresses multiple issues which may cause the device to not wake from sleep mode.
Fixes an issue that may cause the device to fail to wake from sleep mode when receiving a print job over the network.
Fixes an issue where the printer may fail to wake from sleep mode when connected to an 802.1x wireless network.
Fixes an issue where the printer may stop responding to incoming network traffic for up to 10 seconds while coming out of sleep mode.
Addresses an issue where the outer buttons (home, back and the left and right arrows) on the touch screen control panel may become unresponsive when the product comes out of sleep mode.
Corrects an issue where 72 point size fonts or greater may not print.
Fixes an issue that might cause a 49 or 79 error when printing certain documents.
Addresses an issue where the printer may fail to enter sleep mode.

Here is the link to get to the firmware for the printer. I see that the website is changed a bit. Select Option 2 and wait for the page to load and then select the link for firmware. Software and Drivers.

Please keep me posted.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Gemini02,

Thank you for your help!

I think I see what the issue is.  I followed the link you provided from my computer at work...and its a Windows workstation.  Sure enough, the firmware download is right there!

I suppose the program you have to run in order to install the firmware is for Windows only?

Because, at home, the page auto detects that I'm running a Mac OSX and fewer download options are available to me.

Now, the obstacle to overcome:  I don't run any Windows machines at my house...ugh.

If this situation is as it seems, I would only offer one piece of feedback:  HP really shouldn't alienate OSX users by having mission critical updates essentially only available to Microsoft Windows users...us Mac folks sure would like to update our HP equipment as well.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi gadgetz ,

I was able to access the different operating systems now from the website, to see which ones included the firmware updates for Mac. If you have a older Mac you can still run the firmware update. Here are the ones available for you. Where it shows the operating systems, you can actually click on it to change to the different ones. This new design was just updated today on the website.

10.9: Firmware.

10.8: Firmware.

10.7: Firmware.

10.6: Firmware.

Hope this helps.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!  I got it working.  I actually had the opposite problem, I'm running OSX 10.10...which is too new.  I had to hit the "edit" button out next to my operating system and select 10.9...and viola!  I was able to download the firmware update designated for OSX 10.9, and it ran just fine on my OSX 10.10 system.

Hopefully now my M251nw will stop going into a coma.

Again, thank you...this is the end (hopefully, time will tell) of what has been a painful journey.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.