Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Isn't it supposed to be plug-and-play, why a user would go through a page of steps you describe? Shouldn't Auto settings just work? All other wireless devices in my home just work, not fixed settings are needed.

Also, when the printer just stops printing in the middle of the job, why is there no error message of any kind? The printer's LCD is just stuck at "Printing..." with the waiting ring spinning, but the host computer shows all is OK. What is the "HP Printer Status and Alerts" agent supposed to do? It sits there taking space in a tray and some system resources, but it does not do anything - this is the most useless program i've seen. It lists the "Known Printers" and shows the Product Registration link, but does not show any status or alerts. I turn the printer on/off, but status does not change.

HP hardware is great, the printed picture quality is perfect, but software sucks... It would be so pity to return it to the store...

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same issues with my brand new M252dw.  Hours spent wasted on this thing and still not working. I have followed all of the instructions given by the support person in this thread as well, to no avail.

I hate to have to schlep this thing back to UPS to return it to Amazon, but I don't really feel like I have a choice. And I'm not likely to buy a different HP laserjet, since I don't want to have to repeat this horrible process.

HP Recommended

I gave up on wireless.  I ran an Ethernet cable and bought a 4-port switch so I could have a wired connection.  This has worked reliably for months now.  It appears HP has a wireless driver problem that they are not even trying to address.

HP Recommended

That is a shame. I do not have any viable options for running cat5/6 or USB. Its very disheartening to see that this issue has been around as long as it has (and that I didn't see these threads before purchasing mine).

HP Recommended

Just for grins (and also because I'm apparently a masochist), I thought perhaps connecting it via USB, downloading new drivers and then again trying to install wirelessly would work.  It doesn't.

Apparently I'll do anything to get out of having to pack this beast into its carton and somehow manage to get it to the UPS/Fedex dropoff.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to confirm that I had the same issues (and read through all the "solutions" in this thread, and a half dozen others to no avail). I don't want to and don't have time to run a 100+ft ethernet cable to the place I want it in my house. All my other wifi devices work just fine in the same room. I can't believe I wasted so much time trying to get  this POS to work on the wireless network. 95% of the time, it's completely inaccesible, won't ping, won't show up on Macs or Windows machines, etc. And I know what I'm doing. This printer's wifi card or drivers are to blame. USB works, ethernet works, WIFI does NOT work.

I'm going to shove this thing right back into the box it came in, styrofoam or not, and ship this back to Amazon so they can dump this POS on HP's feet where it belongs.

No more HP's for me. This is the second printer that I've bought from them in a year that had terrible networking stability.

HP Recommended

Same problem. The printer works fine with WIFI when I MANUALLY restart the printer. It doesn't connect again after it sleeps for awhile or shuts down after 8 hours. After manually restarting printer (cycles through) it will sleep and I can print for an hour or two. and it wakes it up. But over time it seems to lose its connection. Especially after it shuts itself off after 8 hours. Then I have to manually restart all over agaon.

Brand new printer with new firmware, etc. QUITE annoying and I've spent hours on the HP support line. They don't seem to recognize this problem as a repetative problem. I wonder if anyone has one of these printers that works!?  I'm about to send it back to amazon too. Any suggestions for a different a wifi color laser printer that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

I've spoken to many support people. My case has been sent to the engineers who were supposed to call this evening, but didnt. Prior to this evening, I have had several calls from service techs I spoke over the past couple of days asking if my printer was working and if the support solved the problem.

UPDATE 3 days later

FIX (after talking to HP many times as stated above).

My printer energy saver setting is set to sleep after 5 minutes which it does (but wouldn't wake up).

It's also set to shut down after being idle for 8 hours. (go to settings and power saving. Set it to shut down at 2, 4 or 8 hours). Default is 8. It was set to 8 hours. When I would go back to look at the printer after 8 hours, the power button was still blinking as if it was in sleep mode rather than shutting down. It never actually shut itself off. The printer would work if I shut it off completely, but then was not able to wake it again after sleeping.

FIX:

I reset printer by unplugging it from wall and printer while the power was on. I waited 30 seconds and plugged into wall first and then into printer. Printer started up.  and printed wirelessly.

I reset the shut down time to 2 hours. In two hours the printer was completly shut down as it was suposed to do! First time it actually shut down fully on its own.   I then turned it on and printing  seems to be working works as it should even after sleeping. I tested it at 4 hours and 8 hours. it fully shut down both times. After powering up, printer works perfectly wirelessly. (remember to check that your wifi is on same network as printer, computer/iphone sometimes switches to '"guest", and it obviously won't print until I reselect correct network).

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

@Doomd wrote:

I just wanted to confirm that I had the same issues (and read through all the "solutions" in this thread, and a half dozen others to no avail). I don't want to and don't have time to run a 100+ft ethernet cable to the place I want it in my house.

Well you don't have too.  How about Power Line Adapters like this?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ethernet+powerline...

HP Recommended

Possible FIX

My printer is set to sleep after 5 minutes which it does. I'm using it with WIFI

It's set to shut down after being idle for 8 hours. (go to settings and power saving. Set it to shut down at 2, 4 or 8 hours. Default is 8.  When I go back to look at the printer power button was still blinking as if it was in sleep mode. It never actually shut itself off. The printer would work if I shut it off completely, but then stop working again after sleeping. Won't wake up.

I reset printer by unplugging it from wall and printer while the power was on. I waited 30 seconds and plugged into wall and then into printer. Printer started up.  and printed wirelessly.

I reset the shut down time to 2 hours. In two hours the printer was completly shut down as it was suposed to do.  I then turned it on and printing works as it should.

I will now test 4 hour auto shut down and then again 8 to see if it shuts itself down in these settings. If so when I power it back up it should work fine. I'll let you know! See my post above for FIX

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I am having the same issues even after trying the recommended settings in previous messages (fixed IP for the printer, fixed channel for the WLAN router, adjusting up the energy timeout).

Also the firmware is updated to version 20160331 which claims to fix the issue, but did not do so for me.

I have a Cisco E4200 router with dd-wrt firmware. Anything else is working perfectly in the network. Security is WPA2-PSK.

Am I possibly overlooking something or does HP still need to fix the firmware?

Thanks, brgds

Philipp

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.