Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Colour LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I just bought the Colour LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw, and I can't get it to connect to the wifi. I have connected it via USB cable, and it works fine, it's just that I can't get it to connect to my wifi. The wifi seems fine, all my existing devices connect okay (MacBook, iPhone, iPad). It finds the network, but it seems to time out when I put the password in to connect it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @StephanieB2,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that you are having issues with networking the printer. I would like to help you resolve this issue. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. :generic:

That is really odd that the printer is timing out when you are putting in the network password.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

You can also configure the printer over the wireless network, through the Wi-Fi Direct.

Touch the Wireless icon on the printer's display.

Select the Wi-Fi Direct.

Turn it on, if it isn't already and if there is a code mark it down.

Then on the Mac, go to the Airport Icon and connect to the printer's network. (Direct 69 HP M277 Laserjet)

If asked for a code or password, put in the one you wrote down.

Then open Safari and type in 192.168.223.1.

It will load the printer's Embedded Web Server.

Click on the Networking tab.

On the left side of the window, select Wireless Configuration and fill out your information.

Apply the settings.

Then connect back to your network.

Then add the printer.

Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences.
Click Printers & Scanners, then click the + sign.

Select the printer from the list.

Select your printer from the drop down and click on the Add button.

Test the printer.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @StephanieB2,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that you are having issues with networking the printer. I would like to help you resolve this issue. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. :generic:

That is really odd that the printer is timing out when you are putting in the network password.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

You can also configure the printer over the wireless network, through the Wi-Fi Direct.

Touch the Wireless icon on the printer's display.

Select the Wi-Fi Direct.

Turn it on, if it isn't already and if there is a code mark it down.

Then on the Mac, go to the Airport Icon and connect to the printer's network. (Direct 69 HP M277 Laserjet)

If asked for a code or password, put in the one you wrote down.

Then open Safari and type in 192.168.223.1.

It will load the printer's Embedded Web Server.

Click on the Networking tab.

On the left side of the window, select Wireless Configuration and fill out your information.

Apply the settings.

Then connect back to your network.

Then add the printer.

Click the Apple menu and then click System Preferences.
Click Printers & Scanners, then click the + sign.

Select the printer from the list.

Select your printer from the drop down and click on the Add button.

Test the printer.

If there is anything else I can help you with, just let me know. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the instructions, it was plugging it directly into the wall that made the difference!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue but am on Windows. What is the comparable fix for me?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi

My wireless is ON but I can not connect to the printer. If I try to connect to http://192.168.223.1 it says that "the server where this page is located isn't responding".

Please help 🙂

VL

HP Recommended

HI

What is Airport icon? 

I  do have macbook air - OS x El Capitan 10.11.5

I can find AirDrop but not Airport icon. 

is this the same thing? 

I have wasted 3 days now to get this wifi connected network with this printer

thank you.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem.  I was plugged into a power strip.  As soon as I plugged the printer into the wall, it was able to connect to the network.

HP Recommended

hello,

I am having many issued with wifi connectivity. It worked when I first set up the printer and now it wont' connect at all... HP LasterJet Pro MFP M28fdw

tired to access the wireless direct it is asking for a password and I never set up up. how to I access the printer?

considering returning..... this has been a nightmare of a process and way too much time lost... I have tried rebooting both wifi, printer, computer, etc. re did the wireless setup a couple of times. no luck. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.