Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
p1606dn
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and older

Dear Forum,

I have this issue with my hp p1606dn laserJet:

I can ping printer's IP address. However, I can't print from, it says "the printer is not connected" every time I try to print a word document file, or any page on the network. When I used the USB cable to print, it prints fine.

On the Self Test/ Device Configuration page, it says "AN UNKNOWN ERROR HAS OCCURED" on the Network Information page

This printer is shared on the network and connected to the network via a switch, so everyone in the network can use it.

I have also checked the CAT 5 cable from the printer's port to the switch, change the cable around, but it still would not print.

And also, when I input the IP address on the browser, the printer page wont come up.

Any ideas please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What happens if you ping the address with the cable disconnected from the printer.  Sometimes when a printer is off and a computer is turned on, it grabs the ip address of the printer so you now have a conflict.  If it pings with the cable disconnected that would confirm one of the computers or other ip equipment has taken the address.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What happens if you ping the address with the cable disconnected from the printer.  Sometimes when a printer is off and a computer is turned on, it grabs the ip address of the printer so you now have a conflict.  If it pings with the cable disconnected that would confirm one of the computers or other ip equipment has taken the address.  

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I am pinging the IP address as we speak. It does not affect the pinging at all: i.e. still pinging uninterrupted.

So the next step is for me to try find which devices is using this address? I also need to point out though, that I have already made the IP address for P1606dn printer "static". Other devices should not use this IP address, I am asssuming?

HP Recommended

You assumption is NOT correct.  Just because you make the address static, the only device that knows this is the printer. When the printer is turned off or has no power any device which enters the network can take that address.  You need to reserve that ip address on your router for the printer so the router knows not to give out that address to dhcp or bootp requests.  I usually give my printers an address of over 100 in the last set of numbers since most networks give out low single or double addresses (last set of numbers) when there is a low number of devices connected to the network.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your feedback and knowledge. I have definitely learnt new things yesterday through your comment on my network printer's issue. I have marked your comments as the solution to the "printer is not connected" error

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.