Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have a HP Office Jet Pro 8600. I am networked to it using a router and ethernet cable. I am connected to an IBM Laptop running Windows 7. Printing works great over the network. Scanning works fine to a USB device. My issue is when trying to setup scanning of documents to a network folder. When I run 'Save and Test' I get the following error...

Error. Your printer cannot connect the server. Press "Back" to correct the server name and address. Make sure that the Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned on. These settings can be found in the network and sharing settings of the Windows Control Panel on your computer.

The directory is not set to read only.

The Network Discovery and File Sharing are turned on.

I am not using Norton Antivirus.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi NJU,

Check out pages 53 & 54 of the users guide.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi NJU,

Check out pages 53 & 54 of the users guide.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

NJU,

I had a very similar issue with a HP Pro 400 series.  network Printing/Fax, no problem.  Scanning to a share, not so much.

I was able to resolve it by lowering Windows 7's 128bit file encryption setting to a lower level.  It's a simple radio button change - you just need to know where to find it!

I don't usually use a 'Dummies' site - but they happen to have a very clear walkthrough with screen shots:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/changing-file-encryption-settings-on-a-windows-7-h.pageCd-stor...

My guess is the HP multifunction needs the lower encryption level since its Windows XP compatible?

Hope you see this message and maybe this helps!

HP Recommended

I just brough OfficeJet Pro 8620 and try to setup scan to network folder on my iMac that using EI Capitan, but, it always shows error message: 

Error

Modify the fields marked in red, and then click "Next". Fields marked with '*' are required.

• Network Path: Invalid input.

Is I use the right format in input box as below:

Network Folder Setup Step 1: Network Folder

Assign a name for the folder, and then enter the folder's network path. (The name you assign will appear on the printer's control panel display.)

Display Name  HP Network Folder
Network Path  / /Davy iMac._smb._tcp.local/IMac HD/Users/davylam/HP Network Folder
Create a Security PIN (Recommended)Create a 4-digit security PIN to prevent unauthorized people from saving scanned documents in this network folder. This security PIN must be entered at the printer's control panel before any scanned documents can be saved to the folder.
Security PIN
Confirm Security PIN

Please help to fix it. 

Thanks
HP Recommended

HP Office Jet Pro 8600 SCAN SETUP FOLDER SOLUTION - I tried ALL suggestions on this forum - nothign worked until I found this ONE more step.

In your pc - go to Folder settings - Sharing - Advanced - Permisssions - ALLOW FULL CONTROL TO EVERYONE 9this will make the folder Writeable by scanner not just readable)

If this helps - Say a prayer for this single girl realtor!  #AnyaSells - Need positivity and Love

HP Recommended

Still does not work on Win10 latest version on X476dw on latest firmware. Everyone has full permissions on the Share(Read/Write)

HP Recommended

Same problem here.

It looks like with the latest patches of Win 10, my HP 8620 printer is not even recognized.

It's working well with other computers at home.

HP: are you guys working on a fix for this?

Many thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.