Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Alright, well this was a beast of a problem to say the least. I'm so relieved to be finished with this nonsense. 

How it all started - a recap:

We changed the password on our wireless network as we were updating it for security reasons.  I couldn't find ANYTHING that allowed for me to update the network details (password or SSID) directly on my printer and everywhere said I needed to uninstall and reinstall everything (and re-run the connect to wifi via USB). This is not the case - there is a much simpler solution which I will also cover at the end of this post. Anyway, as mentioned above, during the stage of installing device drivers, the installer crashes with the Windows message "HP Installer Setup Has Stopped Working".

How I fixed it:

1. Printed a configuration page by pressing down the 'resume' button for a few seconds and letting go. I took note of the following in the upper right corner: 

Network in Use: None
     IP Address: 0.0.0.0

I got continued to wonder if I could connect to the printer directly through the ethernet port so I...

2. plugged in a cat5 from my laptop to the printer. 

3. Printed a second configuration page. Now I got the following information:

Network in Use: Wired

IP Address: 169.254.71.50

4. I opened my web browser and tried going to 169.254.71.50 but the page wouldn't connect. I recently just built a gaming computer and found a way to bridge internet from a wireless laptop to a wired device (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Z1_6rX5qU) so I wondered if this would work with the printer.

5. Bridged my Wireless and Network connections as per the video above.

6. Opened my web browser and once again tried navigating to 169.254.71.50 and it WORKED! (Not sure if that IP address is unqiue to my printer, but printing a configuration report is the best place to find it. 

7. I clicked on the Networking tab and then selected  Wireless Configuration.

8. From here I was able to enable my wireless connection, updated my wireless password, and choose the wireless network I wanted to connect to! This is how you can update your wifi information without having to do a complete reinstall!! 

9. I now unplugged the ethernet cable (as suggested next to the enable/disable radio buttons. My wireless printer light turned on and stayed on. I was now connected again!!

10. I don't think this was a critical step, but I also set up the ePrint mobile printing

11. I printed another configuration page, and could now see the following:

Newtwork in Use: Wireless

IP Address: 192.168.1.115

12. I could now navigate back into the printer through my browser using that IP and was able to find and print to my printer wirelessly through my phone, but was still unable to print from my laptop wirelessly. 

13. I inserted the original install CD, held my breath and clicked install. Holding your breath here is optional.

14. It asked how I wanted to connect, and as before I choose wirelessly. This time instead of asking me to connect the USB, it FOUND my printer on the network! I selected it, clicked continue and everything successfully installed!

Everything is now back to normal! I can use my printer wirelessly once again. PLEASE let me know if anyone needs more clarification on the above steps, or if something doesn't work for you because there is no other solution out there. Trust me, I spent HOURS AND HOURS looking. I hope this helps some of you!

Cheers,

Kirk

HP Recommended

Hi Kirk, 

Glad to hear you fixed the wireless connection by connecting to the printer adhoc to access the EWS - Embedded web server. You should have been able to run the setup again to add a new device as well. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hey pcwizard,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the problem was I couldn't run setup to add anything because it would crash during the install. It wasn't just about fixing the wireless connection, it was about fixing the software installation!

Cheers,

Kirk

HP Recommended

Hi Kirk, 

Were you successful with getting the printer installation completed?

If so, I am glad to hear everything is working again. 

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Yes, as described in my post above - everything installed and worked as it should once I was able to get my printer connected to my wireless network again!

HP Recommended

Hi Kirk, 

Awesome, if you have any other problems please let us know. Enjoy your day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

This does highlight a problem that I have seen also - it is very hard to simply connect to a printer to set wifi details.

There was an application that was downloadable from HP.com to do this without a full install, but I could never get it to work. The Windows 8 HP app is also useless.

This process needs to be simpler.

HP Recommended

Bravo!  I wasted months on this when I upgraded my router. 

This is "The Only Way It Can Be Done".  

You do have to install the drivers via the Install Program, but then it fails.   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.