06-09-2012 04:45 PM
How to correct when printing from "live mail" when strange symbols print in place of quotation marks or apostrophes
06-11-2012 09:40 AM
Windows Live Mail uses “smart quotes,” which are typesetting symbols to “fancy up” the quotes and apostrophes so they curl in the appropriate direction.
Unfortunately, not every e-mail program recognizes smart quotes, and some e-mail programs confuse them with characters from other languages.
There’s no way to turn off smart quotes from within Windows Live Mail, but here’s a workaround:
- Type your apostrophe, then type the backspace key. Windows Live Mail immediately replaces the smart quote with the regular apostrophe.
You’ll need to do this when typing regular quote marks, as well.
Try it a few times, and you’ll see how the apostrophe or quote mark changes subtly when you press the Backspace key. It’s an extra step, but it will keep your recipients from seeing the symbols.
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
- HP Printers - Using HP Diagnostic Tools for HP Printers in Windows
- HP Printers - After Windows 10 Upgrade, Printer Does Not Print
- HP Printers - Using Google Cloud Print with Your HP Printer
- HP Printers - Printer is Offline (Windows)
- HP LaserJet Pro Printers and Multifunction Printers - HP Smart Install Discontinuation