Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi rt808,

From what you describe, it sounds like it was going as planned - the hpsetup (under devices) was the correct choice, and Bonjour is correct. You can try adding the HP IP one and retrying the IP address in Safari option - but try the following first.

Open print and fax, click on the C4580, and click the Print Queue button.

Look for a Printer Setup Button, and click the Utility tab - Click Launch Printer Utility -- Click Additional Settings -- EWS.

I will check the lab to see if we have one - it won't take long to set up once I find it as I can have the SW download on my workstation while tracking down the printer; and I have a mac in the next bay that I can use.

I know this is doable, so I am going to work with you until we get this resolved (or until you get tired of me haha).

So please, try the above steps, meanwhile, I will get started on downloading the SW and getting the printer installed here.

Thanks for your continued patience!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi again rt808,

I installed the C4580 and went through the Adhoc workaround, and got screenshots along the way. I can see why the previous steps I provided didn't really work as well as we'd hoped. Let's try this again:

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 12.58.14 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 12.58.33 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 12.58.52 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 12.59.19 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 12.59.33 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 1.00.00 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 1.00.55 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 1.02.18 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 1.03.05 PM.png

Please try this - these screenshots (in order) replace the steps from step 7 through 11.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Hubbs,

I hate to disappoint you!  You're working so hard to help me and I wanted to be able to report back success!  Alas...

I created an Adhoc Network, and everything went smoothly - for a while.

Then I transitioned from your written instructions for the Adhoc Network to the screenshots you provided today (thank you - it was so helpful knowing what I was supposed to be looking for).  

I returned to the Setup Assistant and got to the Print & Fax screen, highlighted the device, opened the Print Queue.  (I went through this step with the "Share this printer on the network) checked, and then unchecked when I realized that it was unchecked on your screenshot.)  On the next screen I selected the Utility Tab which brought up the Open Printer Utility screen.

This is where things went wrong.  On your screenshot, the next screen is labeled HP Utility-Photosmart C4500 series (F3

A688) at the top; the left side of the screen is light blue with a menu consisting of Printers and Smart Groups; the right side is light gray and shows icons for Information and Support (Supplies & Status and Device Information) and Printer Settings (Additional Settings).  Your instructions are to click on the Additional Settings icon.

My version of this screen just says HP Utility at the top (no specific device); the left side of the page is light blue and empty; the right side of the page is light gray and empty with the exception of "Please select a device to get started."  I played with every button and tab on the screen and nothing provides me with a list of devices to select from.  There is a + and - at the bottom left, plus a gear icon that opens up to options such as "Add manually" but I can't figure out how to do that.  If I select the Devices Tab at the top left all that happens is that the light blue section on the left side of the screen either shows or hides.

So here I am, closer but no cigar!

Another question - I started the Adhoc Network setup with the USB cable connection (printer to iMac) and disconnected it later in the process (not sure exactly when).  Should it have been left connected?  Or not connected at all?

(I can't imagine why), but if you're still willing to keep on - I am too!  

Have a good weekend,

rt808

HP Recommended

Hi rt808,

Having USB connected wasn't necessary during the adhoc setup, but it also wouldn't have hurt anything. The only place it might have caused confusion would be when adding the printer to Print & Fax (might accidentally add the USB printer) but you disconnected before then most likely.

Glad to hear we are making "some" progress :generic:

So in the HP Utility, there should be a button towards the upper left labeled "Devices" - this should expand/collapse the devices panel on the left side (this area will show all HP devices, and the status for each device - online, busy, idle, etc).

If your C4500 is not listed there, double-check your connection to the printer (still adhoc at this point) as well as check in Print & Fax to ensure that the device is giving you a Ready status (green). Finally, ensure that the device is not in sleep mode - press the cancel button on the front panel to "wake it up" if needed (or if you just feel the need to press the big red "X" as I sometimes do :generic: )

Try the steps above - essentially, the plan going forward is to troubleshoot along the way until we can make it through the remaining steps/screenshots - eye on the prize!

Your patience and willingness to continue working is great, I really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Hubbs,

We're getting closer...closer...oh, shut down again!

I 've gotten all the way to the Open Embedded Web Server button and then to the HP Photosmart C4500 Series page.  I opened the tabs as per your screenshots (Networking/Advanced/SSID C4500Test/Infrastructure).  I typed in the WEP Encryption Key and Confirmation (after I finally figured out that the WEP Key is the password that I set up for my Time Capsule...duh).  Under Ad Hoc I just checked No Authentication or Encryption and then I hit Apply.

At one point I got the message "Characters entered for key or passphrase are invalid."  And during additional attempts I got the message (on http://hpf748d5.local./wirelessAdv.htm):  "Safari can't find the server.  Safari can't open the page http://hpf748d5.local./wirelessAdv.htm because Safari can't find the server hpf748d5.local."

Behind that screen I also got the message that you mentioned, asking if  I wanted to try to reconnect.  I went up to the top right of my screen and opened the wireless icon and switched from Adhoc Network C4500Test back to my home network.  I hit Reconnect.  I tried this several times, making sure that the printer was active.  I keep getting the message that the connection can't be made, and asking if I want to reconnect. 

I've run through this several times, even restarting my computer, then going to the Adhoc C4500Test network and through the HP Assistant steps - and I come to a stop at the same place - it tells me it can't connect and when I switch from the Adhoc network to my home network the HP Assistant tells me it still can't connect.

I'm trying to keep my eye on the prize.  But it sure is a slippery little devil.  Thanks for not giving up.  When we first started this adventure, you were an Intern.  Today I see you're a Teacher.  You should be promoted to Principal.

Thanks!

rt808

HP Recommended

Hubbs,

This is an additional email (to the one I sent earlier today):

Because I couldn't get all the way through the HP Setup Assistant, I backed out and Quit.  So that I could continue working on the computer, I reconnected the HP Printer and iMac with the USB cable.  

The wireless icon was set on my home network and I was able to get online with Safari, and work on my computer as usual.  However, I could no longer print.  Despite the USB cable connection I kept getting a message that the HP Printer was Offline.  I finally tried switching the wireless setting to the Adhoc C4580Test Network and then I am able to print (but I can't get on the internet)!

So for the time being, I have to keep switching between networks - home network for internet access, adhoc network for printing.  

YIkes!  What have I done?

rt808

HP Recommended

Hi rt808,

Thank you for the kind words :generic:

I have good news, and bad news.

The bad news is, we need to get the printer back to network defaults, and get back to the adhoc connection.

The good news is, because of the level of detail you provided in your last post, I think I found where we got mixed up:

"Under Ad Hoc I just checked No Authentication or Encryption and then I hit Apply."

Note/Edit: After taking a second look at the screenshot, I can see where the confusion hit. The first screenshot of the network/advanced section shows adhoc selected. The second shows Infrastructure. But (because I shrank the screenshots down) they are kind of blurred/small and a challenge to read clearly - my apologies!

The section above adhoc shows "Infrastructure" - this is where you want to put your network info. By putting your network info under Adhoc, you assigned that info to the printer - so the printer still thinks it is on an adhoc network, only now it has the SSID your entered.

So, the good part is - you have already gone through the steps to reset network defaults on the printer, and connect the computer and printer adhoc. Now we just need to get back to the EWS of the printer, and put in your Time Capsule network info under the Infrastructure section - and I think we will be golden.

Let me know how it goes - I think this might be the last leg of a long race, and the light at the end of the tunnel (No, not the train!)

Thanks for hangin' in there!

Second Edit - What has happened is that the only printer in Print & Fax is the bonjour. If you connect USB and re-add the USB connection-type, you can be online and print at the same time while working.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Here we go, Hubbs!

I may have made it seem as though I had typed my Time Capsule password in the wrong place under Adhoc, but I actually think I did type it in under WEP Encryption Key and Confirm Key.  Just to make sure, I ran through it again:

1.  Created Adhoc Network C4580Test and connected.

2.  HP Setup Assistant where I left off.  Hit Continue.

2a.  Select Device. Checked "My device is not listed." Continue.

2b.  Select Device.  "Photosmart C4500 series" is the only device listed.  I highlight it and Continue.

2c.  Select Device Connection.  I check "Wireless network" and Continue.

2d.  It takes me right back to the Select Device screen and it's empty again.  I check "My device is not listed" again and I get message: "If your device is not listed it is not supported by this Installer."  This has happened many times before so I hit Ok and go back to 2b.

2b.  At Select Device, instead of selecting "Photosmart C4500 Series" again, I click on the gear icon and it says "Add device by IP" - so I type in my IP address (which I had taken from the HP Network config Page printed last week) to manually connect to the network device.  I make sure the printer is on and hit Ok.

2e.  This time it takes me straight to Select Printer,  I hit the "Print & Fax" button.

2f.  Print & Fax.  I highlight Photosmart C4500 series (F748D5) -1, which has a green light, and is labeled Idle.  I also make this my Default printer (which is probably why my USB connection doesn't work anymore on my home network!).  Then I hit "Open Print Queue."

2g.  Photosmart C4500 series (F748D5)-1.  Says "Printer Ready."  I click on "Printer Setup" which opens a new box.  Then click on Utility tab and click on the "Open Printer Utility" button.

2h.  This connects me to HP Utility-Photosmart C4500 series (F748D5)-1.  I open "Printer Settings" and then hit the "Embedded Web Server Button."

2i.  HP Photosmart C4500 series page.  Networking Tab.  Advanced Tab.  Opens wireless (802.11) Interface.  SSID: C4580Test.  Click on "Infrastructure."  Click on "WEP Encryption."  I entered my Key (my Time Capsule password, right?)  and entered Confirmation Key.  Hit Apply.

2j.  Wireless (802.11) Interface.  Message:  "Characters entered for key or passphrase are invalid."

2k.  HP Utility.  Message:  "Connection with Printer Cannot be Established.  You can choose other device or try to connect with the current device."  I switch networks - from Adhoc C4580Test to my home network, wait until it connects and then I hit Reconnect on the HP Utility message.

I get the same message:  "Connection with Printer Cannot be Established..."  So I Quit and Back out once again all the way to the beginning of HP Setup Assistant.

I think I'm following the screenshots, but I must be inputting something incorrectly.  

By the way, Bonjour is not the only printer showing up on the HP Utility screen - there's another one that used to be the Default printer.  I think it's just named HP Photosmart C4500 Series.  And a third one is Photosmart C4500 series (HPF748D5) HP IP, which I added to the list and tried to use for the setup - but of course, it didn't work.

For the time being, I think if I go in and re-select the HP Photosmart C4500 series as the default printer, I'll be able to print with the USB connection without having to change from my home network to the Adhoc network.  Is that what you mean by getting "the printer back to network defaults?"  I'm not sure how that's done.

I'm so-o-o sorry to take so much of your time!

rt808

HP Recommended

I have a point....

We can use the Go > Utilities >Key Chain access

Select your Home network on the list. Show the password...

Go to system preference > Network > Click on advance option....check the type of encryption for your home network...

Can we try to connect the printer to time capsule and just try to add it in "print & fax" click on + sign....let just wait for mac to find the printer with kind as bonjour........

Actually, I am new to this. But, I have done it a couple of times.....so, I not trying to be smart......

Let me know if that helps.....

sorry for any mistakes......   😉

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accept as Solution"

Thanks and Regards
vishu
HP Recommended

Hi rt808,

So it sounds like you are doing it correctly. It's true, the wording on your earlier post led me to believe that you input the WEP (yes, your password for the Time Capsule Network) under the adhoc section instead of infrastructure.

So, once again, I think that due to the level of detail you provided (thank you for being so detailed, it really helps me to visualize what is going on over there) I have another idea of where we are slipping up. The error message you are getting might be indicating that some of the characters in your wireless security (WEP) are not understood by the C4500. There are certain characters that some products can't understand - the products that have the ability for manual entry on the front panel can have the same limitation (newer products, I believe, have overcome this limitation).

If you feel comfortable doing so, please send me a PM with the WEP you are using (don't want you to post publicly). I can test with it here and see if I get the same problem, this will confirm whether or not this is the root cause of the issue. The fact that you are able to connect adhoc shows that the computer and printer are fully capable of talking, and that the midle-man is the culprit; we just need to hone in on just which middle-man it is.

The other way to test this would be to change the WEP to something simple (temporarily) such as AbCdE12345. Then connecting your mac to the network using this new password, as well as putting that into the infrastructure section. If it connects using this new password, then there is a special character in your current password that the printer isn't understanding.

Either method works fine for me - If I get a PM, I will plug it in really quick (still have the product set up, so wouldn't take more than 5 minutes), if not, will assume that you went with method 2.

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.