Question

Tutor
acceofred
Message 1 of 18 (5,602 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer not printing in black

I have an HP Photosmart Premium 309a printer Serial no.MY96UG916H  linked to an Apple MacBookPro running OS/X 10.6.4 wirelessly.

I recently moved my printer and the only problem was the tray at the back of the printer had come out on one side, which once replaced was OK. I changed a 364XL black cartridge, as the previous one was empty and showing signs of streak printing.

Since then I am unable to print any black printed pages either best or fast draft.

Using the system options, I have cleaned the cartridges twice; aligned the cartridges twice, although this showed in both instances that the action had 'failed'. The printer seems to be going through the operation of printing but nothing appears on the page.

If I print this page using best print, nothing is printed.

What are my next steps

Regards

Les Evans

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 2 of 18 (5,599 Views)

Re: Printer not printing in black

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  You say you've replaced with a 364XL, can you doublecheck that?  I believe this printer uses a 564

Tutor
acceofred
Message 3 of 18 (5,592 Views)

All my cartridges are 364XL - this seems to be correct (as supplied initially with printer) for the UK. 564 seems to be a new number. Now on 3rd set of 364's & no previous problems. Printer is excellent.

Regards

Les

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 4 of 18 (5,583 Views)

UK, important detail. Yes 364 is correct.  Are there any messages on the front panel?  Do you have another black cartridge you can try?  If still unresolved, we may be able to resolve it by going through a reset procedure.  First try a partial and if that does not resolve it, a full reset. 

PERFORMING A PARTIAL RESET OF THE C309a ALL-IN-ONE:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the product and wait 20 seconds.

2.  Press and hold down # and 3 while plugging in the power cord to the product.

3.  Release the buttons after the product starts up.  The product will now be set to factory defaults.

CAUTION:  Performing a semi-full reset DELETES any saved phone numbers on the product.

A PARTIAL RESET RESETS THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS:

•  All user menu settings are reset to the default values
  • All telephony parameter values are reset to the default values
  • Country and language user interface is reset to the default values
  • Fax memory is cleared

PERFORMING A FULL RESET OF THE C309a ALL-IN-ONE:

1.  Unplug the power cord from the product and wait 20 seconds.

2.  Press and hold how # and 6 while plugging in the power cord to the product.

3.  Release the buttons after the product starts up.  The product will now be set to factory defaults.

Honor Student
carolucy3
Message 5 of 18 (5,574 Views)

This question is related, but not identical.

I have a HP OfficeJet 4215 all-in-one & am using Mac OS 10.4 with a corded connection to the printer & cannot print in B&W at all. I  have tried to set up 'draft' in this way but I can't since I upgraded to Leopard.

Was able to do so in Panther but not Leopard. I would like to save my color cartridge ink as it is easier (and less costly) to replace 1 cartridge than up to 3. The authentic HP inks are not cheap yet I use them to ensure quality output.

I too, have cleaned the cartridges & aligned them several times, have not gotten errors but the action seemed completely ineffective.

As with the previous post, what are the steps that I need to take next?

Caroline

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 6 of 18 (5,571 Views)

Hi Caroline,

Does the 4215 perform a standalone Black copy?

Tutor
acceofred
Message 7 of 18 (5,569 Views)

Brilliant - thanks

Partial reset did not work but full reset and cartridge change did the trick.

Have printed out a copy from platen and also printed your reply to this message using two sided output and this also worked so all is looking well - thanks

Regards

Les

PhD Student
MBJustice
Message 8 of 18 (5,565 Views)

Excellent news, glad we could help.

Honor Student
carolucy3
Message 9 of 18 (5,453 Views)

MBJustice,

No, it only prints in color. The options that open with each different printing job differ from each other. One job could not have any printing options. Another could have all the available options. I had a setting that I titled"draft" which used only black ink and to use less ink than for a better copy.

Caroline

Honor Student
ardnageeha
Message 10 of 18 (4,238 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi. I have a similar problem to Les... A Photosmart 3 in 1 printer series B109 (Serial No: {Removed for privacy}) which has stopped printing in black. The other 3 colours print fine and the cartridges are new genuine 364 HP cartridges.. Have tried everything but assume I have upset the printer settings in some way. I would have tried the solution recommended to Les, but my keyboard does not appear to have a hash key...! (Am I being stupid or blind or is the hash symbol represented differently on some keyboards?)

Ardnageeha

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation