Scanner (Officejet 7500) cannot find computer when using scan shortcuts on printer (7130 Views)
Top Student
jkbayley
Message 1 of 7 (7,130 Views)
Accepted Solution

Scanner (Officejet 7500) cannot find computer when using scan shortcuts on printer

When selecting scan to PDF, email, etc. using the scan buttons on the 7500 it allows me to select the computer on the network (each of which has all the latest drivers and software loaded). However when about to scan it then says the computer is not found (whichever one) despite them being on and ready. Scanning by any other method from the Mac works. The Automator shortcuts work just fine when tested, but they do not seem to get initiated by the scanner to allow scanning initiation form the printer itself.

Looking on the HP support site and finding - A 'Connection Error' or 'No Computer Detected' Error Message Displays When Attempting to Scan from the Printer Control Panel- as a subject gives PC solutions, but nothing for Mac. And so I am here. Help!

JKB

Grad Student
FretnBoutNutn
Message 2 of 7 (7,099 Views)

Re: Scanner (Officejet 7500) cannot find computer when using scan shortcuts on printer

Hi JKB,

I'm curious, if you wait a bit longer after the error appears on the device, does the the scan still start?  There is a 20 second timer in the device that will expire if the computer hasn't started the scan within this timeframe.  Even if this timer expires it is still possible for the scan to be completed successfully.   We have seen this timer expire in rare cases where the printer is connected via wireless and the the wireless response times are exceptionally slow.  Is your 7500 connected via WiFi?

Given your information that starting scans from other launch points works correctly, this seems like the first thing to rule out.  If the scans never start for you from the device, please post back and we can try some other angles.

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

- Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Top Student
jkbayley
Message 3 of 7 (7,074 Views)

Re: Scanner (Officejet 7500) cannot find computer when using scan shortcuts on printer

No, the scan cancels after exactly 20 seconds as you suggest. However in that time there is no activity on the Mac to suggest it is trying to initiate a scan. The scanner is connected wirelessly indeed. It prints very well wirelessly though, and I wouldn't say response is slow as a print job initiates on the printer in 1-2 seconds.

Thanks for the help.

JKB

Grad Student
FretnBoutNutn
Message 4 of 7 (7,037 Views)

Next thing to check would be that "HP Device Monitor" is running.  This background process is responsible for detecting button presses for scan requests.  If you open Activity Monitor (located in /Applications/Utilities) you should see this listed as one of the running processes. 

It may be generally best for you to perform an uninstall and reinstall of the HP software.  In /Applications/Hewlett-Packard you will find HP Uninstaller.  Use this utility to remove the old software.  I recommend that you download and install the latest software for your 7500 from here: http://tinyurl.com/4voly2d

Hope this helps,

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

Top Student
jkbayley
Message 5 of 7 (6,936 Views)

A belated reply, as in the intervening period I have moved house.

That seems to have sorted it all out. Many thanks.

Honor Student
sharonlikescats
Message 6 of 7 (6,100 Views)

I am having the same problem on my Mac. The updated installation software from your url is for the 8000 series, but i have the 7500. Any suggestions?

Grad Student
FretnBoutNutn
Message 7 of 7 (6,095 Views)

Hmm, not sure why the link would have sent you to the wrong page, but you may want to try linking to http://support.hp.com and just follow the directions to locate "Software Drivers & Downloads" for your product.  Please note that there is now a separate option to download software for Lion.

Hope this helps,

FretnBoutNutn
I work for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation