Scanner not working in Mac OS X Lion (8295 Views)
Honor Student
pcozza00
Message 1 of 9 (8,295 Views)

Scanner not working in Mac OS X Lion

I have recently upgraded to Mac OS X Lion. I have also updated all software on my computer via Software Update. I can print to my HP LaserJet 3390. However, I am not able to scan. In Image Capture, no scanners are found. Similarly, in Preview no scanners are listed from which to import an image. Any ideas as to how I can solve this problem?

Thanks.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 9 (8,236 Views)

Re: Scanner not working in Mac OS X Lion

Unfortunately, only printing currently supported by Lion.

A Full Feature scanning software should be available soon, as you may find listed under Print-only support from ASU now and delayed scan support below:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02950970

As a temporary workaround, you may try instaling the Mac OS X 10.5 software, however it may not be stable as expected and may not work for some of the situations:

Remove the print Queue by selecting it and clicking the Minus sign under System Preferences > Print & Scan.

Download the Mac OS 10.5 installation below by clicking the download button:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18...

Skip the Setup Assistant and follow the steps till the installation will complete.

Perform the following steps in order to provide the Setup Assistant the right permissions to complete unde Lion:

1. Open Terminal from the Utilities folder
  2. Type “sudo “ (with space) in the Terminal.
  3. Locate the HP Setup Assistant in folder Applications/HP LaserJet Software
  4. Right-click (CTRL+Left click from the Mac keypad) the HP Setup Assistant and choose “Show Package Contents”.
  5. Open the “Contents” folder and then click “MacOS” folder. It should contain the Unix Executable File of HP Setup Assistant.
  6. Drag the HP Setup Assistant (Unix Executable File) into the Terminal and press enter. Terminal will ask for the password of the user.
  7. After writing the password press Enter Button.

follow the Setup Assistant to complete the device configuration..

You should be able to scan as you aware by using the HP Director Application, till the Lion Software Solution will become available..

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
pcozza00
Message 3 of 9 (8,233 Views)

Thank you for the response. I had missed that document which points out that scanning does not yet work under OS X Lion for the 3390. Unfortunately, the HP Director/HP Scan software also does not work for me. It cannot find an available scanner. Guess I'll just have to wait for a compatible driver.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 4 of 9 (8,229 Views)

The same still applies and might assist you to get it working,

Reconfiguring the device by the HP Setup Assistant may allow the Director to locate your scanner.

It's worth trying to follow the steps listed below to reconfigure your device:

1. Open Terminal from the Utilities folder
  2. Type “sudo “ (with space) in the Terminal.
  3. Locate the HP Setup Assistant in folder Applications/HP LaserJet Software
  4. Right-click (CTRL+Left click from the Mac keypad) the HP Setup Assistant and choose “Show Package Contents”.
  5. Open the “Contents” folder and then click “MacOS” folder. It should contain the Unix Executable File of HP Setup Assistant.
  6. Drag the HP Setup Assistant (Unix Executable File) into the Terminal and press enter. Terminal will ask for the password of the user.
  7. After writing the password press Enter Button.

follow the Setup Assistant to complete the device configuration..

Now try scanning by using the HP Director and check for any change,

If it still does not work, you will have to wait till a newer sofware will become available.

If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
pcozza00
Message 5 of 9 (8,227 Views)

Thank you, but that doesn't work. Per your suggestion in your previous post, I followed that procedure before I replied to you, and the 3390 is simply not recognized as a scanner.

Student
rubyreddevon
Message 6 of 9 (7,028 Views)

Hi Shlomil

I was really struggling following an upgrade to Mac OS X Lion when I discovered the scan facility on my HP2840 Color LaserJet was no longer working.  Its a facility that is regularly used (Networked) and its loss was both unexpected and very annoying. Having recently replaced the drum and the fuser unit in the printer I was confidently expecting a few years more service out of the machine. Furthermore, being a pensioner (ex academic - computer scientist) I am no longer able to put my hands on the sort of money needed to replace the printer with a machine that is Lion compatible with all the features the 2840 has. I also hate committing serviceable kit to landfill.

So your solution has been a Godsend. Thank you very much.  If you read this perhaps you have some inside knowledge as to when the official solution will become available?

To any one else looking for an answer, follow the list of steps very carefully. Take care not to press enter after step 2 as I did which threw me for a while.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 7 of 9 (7,017 Views)

Hi rubyreddevon,

It is great to know you were manage to use the scanner by following the suggested workaround!

Unfortunately, I afraid the products have print-only support, therefore any official solution will not become available in the future. actually, scan was no-longer provided for Mac OS X 10.6 as well.

As you may also find stated by the support document below:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02925114#A2

Regards,

Shlomi

Honor Student
nauset7
Message 8 of 9 (5,699 Views)

This solution actually worked...up to a point. I have been all over the HP website, apple forums (the discussion is archived there). Your ideas have been the best chance of getting the scan function of the Color LaserJet 2840 in Mac OSX. I recently bought a new Mac Mini and upgraded to Mountain Lion 10.8.1. The printer, copier, and fax have been working fine but I lost the scan with the upgrades past Snow Leopard.

The reason I write is twofold. First, your workaround, entering Setup Assistant in Terminal with the sudo command, succeeded in getting the buttons in HP Director to appear in GUI. THAT was a small miracle in my opinion. I was unable to install the 10.5 update due to corruption issues with Mountain Lion.

I was even able to get the scanner recognized by ExactScan software, purchased at the Mac App Store. (Pricey at $99.99) At first it couldn't find the scanner. Now it recognizes it, but crashes every time I open it. But the problem remains with HP Scan software which opens but has no GUI showing. It doesn't function.

So my question is, since you work for HP, how do I go about getting a clean version of HP Scan? 

I'm hoping another source for this app might get the recognized scanner in HP Director to actually perform.

Is HP Scan available as a download, or does it only come in the bundled software, HP or Mac.

Appreciate your efforts so far to find this workaround, but the vast majority of posts I''ve seen have had no success.

Hope you can help!

Nauset7

Mac Mini 2.3 ghz, 2 MB memory

By the way, my connection method is USB. Haven't tried networking over ethernet. That may be next!

Honor Student
mmare100
Message 9 of 9 (4,423 Views)

thx, your solution worked !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation