scan to computer does not work with new Officejet 8600 connected via Ethernet (5597 Views)
Honor Student
AncientHPUser
Message 1 of 4 (5,597 Views)

scan to computer does not work with new Officejet 8600 connected via Ethernet

Just purchased HP Officejet 8600 N911g.  Connected to network with Ethernet cable to Time Capsule.

Printing from iMac (OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion) works just fine.  

However Scan-to-Computer is disabled and doesn't even show up as an option on the HP Utility.

I am using the latest HP driver, installing all applications from "Officejet-Pro-8600_v12.23.0.dmg" downloaded from HP today.

I installed it after having uninstalled my software for my old HPOJ-7310.

1. Device administration does not list Scan, only "Webscan" which I've enabled, but it doesn't seem to affect anything except the ability to use the printer's embedded webserver to scan a document (which works).  But this is not what I'm trying to enable.

2. When selecting "Scan to Computer" on the printer touchscreen, it says it's not enabled, to select "Scan to Computer" from "Scan Settings" in the HP Utility and enable "Scan to Computer".  However, only "Scan to E-mail" and "Scan to Network Folder" are displayed here.

3. When selecting "Print & Scan" from iMac System Preferences, selecting "Scan" and "Open Scanner", an error message is displayed "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner."

4. When selecting the Scan App and selecting "Scan", I get the same error message.

It is not an option to be limited to "Scan to email" or "Scan to folder".  I've used my old 7310 for several years to scan to computer without any problem whatsoever, including with the current OS X version.  

I've also run through about 10 postings here to try to deal with the problem.  Based on at least one posting, I've reset and restarted the printer and computer with the current network options several times.  No change.

What's up?  

Thanks

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 4 (5,587 Views)

Re: scan to computer does not work with new Officejet 8600 connected via Ethernet

Hi,

Please make sure to update the latest drivers by clicking the Apple icon and then Software Update. then check for any change.

If the same persists, did you select the HP Recommended Software during the installation? (You may verify it by entering the Hewlett-Packard folder application, you should see the HP Scan listed if the specific option was selected).

If you cannot find the HP Scan application there, launch the installation once again and ensure the checkbox next to it is enabled, then complete the isntallation and check for any change.

If the recommended software was installed but still the specific option is missing, enter Ssytem Preferences > Printer & Scan. remove any instance of the printer and then launch the HP Setup Assistant to reconfigure the device (it can be found under Applications > Hewlett-Packard > Device Utilities).

Now open the HP Utility and check fora ny change.

Please let me know of any progress,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
AncientHPUser
Message 3 of 4 (5,572 Views)

Re: scan to computer does not work with new Officejet 8600 connected via Ethernet

Thanks. I've not upgraded any peripherals attached to my iMac until now, so I didn't realize that this was required. I finally figured it out about 11pm last night after finally running across the following link in an Apple Community post:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

It explains that even after installing the very latest driver, you need to select "Software Update" from the Apple menu.  Re-reading the HP ReadMe, I found the following ...  It refers ONLY to updates on the HP site.  After the fact one might read this as suggesting you download relevant new OS drivers, but that's not what it says.  It's only the instructions for downloading the latest HP driver, which is where I started.

Check for updates

We recommend you check for software updates immediately after installing the [shipped] software.

1. Go to http://www.hp.com/support.
  2. Select your country/region.
  3. Click Download drivers and software and enter your product name, then press Enter.
  4. Click your model number, if necessary.
  5. Click your operating system.
  6. Check for updates.

It would really help to have an additional set of bullets.  "After updating the HP software, ... [relevant text for each OS]."

I only wasted 4 hours of my time.

Student
lsilver
Message 4 of 4 (2,889 Views)

If you have OS 10.6.8 and experienced the frustration of not being able to scan, try this:

1) Before you reinstall the "HP recommended" option, the last install left a folder in your applications called "Hewlett-Packard" the uninstall feature is in there. Uninstall and restart BOTH the printer and your mac, without doing this causes trouble

2) If you have any messages that the printer can't find your Mac after doing step 1, make sure the print cable is directly in your Mac's USB slot, and not in an external hub. For some reason this also makes a difference. You may have to restart after you do this.

3) After installation, Go in Utilities and click on the HP Utility, keep it in your dock for future use OR...

you can go under System Preferences/Print/Fax and scan from there if you'd prefer to adjust the dpi, etc.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation