Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0007ne
Microsoft Windows 11

I am having an issue with my PC not recognizing my home theater and only showing 2 channel and not 5.1. 

It used to work but it just stopped. Pc is connected to tv via hdmi which is connected via earc HDMI to sound bar 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ShabzzzDJ1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with your audio setup where your PC is not recognizing the 5.1 surround sound configuration through your home theater system. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

Check HDMI Connections: Ensure that all HDMI connections are secure, including the connection from your PC to the TV and from the TV to the sound bar via eARC. Sometimes, unplugging and replugging the HDMI cables can help resolve any connection issues.

Verify TV and Sound Bar Settings: Double-check your TV and sound bar settings to ensure they are set to output and process the audio as 5.1 surround sound. Sometimes settings can revert or change due to updates or resets.

Sound Settings on Windows:

• Right-click on the sound volume icon in the system tray and select Sounds.
  • Go to the Playback tab, click on your HDMI output device, and then click Configure.
  • In the speaker setup, see if 5.1 Surround is available as an option. If it is, select it and click Next, then follow the prompts to finish setting it up. If not, continue to the next steps.

Update Sound Driver:

• Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
  • Expand Sound, video and game controllers, find your sound card, right-click it, and select Update driver.
  • Choose Search automatically for updated driver software and follow the on-screen instructions.

Check Windows Updates:

• Sometimes, missing updates can cause issues with hardware functionality. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for any pending updates.

Disable Audio Enhancements:

• Go back to the Sound settings in the Control Panel, select your playback device, click Properties.
  • In the Enhancements tab, check the box to Disable all enhancements (or Disable all sound effects), and apply the changes.

Change Digital Audio Format:

• In the same properties window, go to the Advanced tab and try changing the Default Format. Sometimes certain formats are not supported well with the current setup.

HDMI Audio Driver:

• Ensure that the audio driver for HDMI output is properly installed. Sometimes, the graphics driver (if the HDMI port is part of your graphics card) also needs to be updated to resolve audio issues

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ShabzzzDJ1,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing an issue with your audio setup where your PC is not recognizing the 5.1 surround sound configuration through your home theater system. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue:

Check HDMI Connections: Ensure that all HDMI connections are secure, including the connection from your PC to the TV and from the TV to the sound bar via eARC. Sometimes, unplugging and replugging the HDMI cables can help resolve any connection issues.

Verify TV and Sound Bar Settings: Double-check your TV and sound bar settings to ensure they are set to output and process the audio as 5.1 surround sound. Sometimes settings can revert or change due to updates or resets.

Sound Settings on Windows:

• Right-click on the sound volume icon in the system tray and select Sounds.
  • Go to the Playback tab, click on your HDMI output device, and then click Configure.
  • In the speaker setup, see if 5.1 Surround is available as an option. If it is, select it and click Next, then follow the prompts to finish setting it up. If not, continue to the next steps.

Update Sound Driver:

• Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
  • Expand Sound, video and game controllers, find your sound card, right-click it, and select Update driver.
  • Choose Search automatically for updated driver software and follow the on-screen instructions.

Check Windows Updates:

• Sometimes, missing updates can cause issues with hardware functionality. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and check for any pending updates.

Disable Audio Enhancements:

• Go back to the Sound settings in the Control Panel, select your playback device, click Properties.
  • In the Enhancements tab, check the box to Disable all enhancements (or Disable all sound effects), and apply the changes.

Change Digital Audio Format:

• In the same properties window, go to the Advanced tab and try changing the Default Format. Sometimes certain formats are not supported well with the current setup.

HDMI Audio Driver:

• Ensure that the audio driver for HDMI output is properly installed. Sometimes, the graphics driver (if the HDMI port is part of your graphics card) also needs to be updated to resolve audio issues

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.