Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-b119wm Sleekboo
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

At some point, the drivers have become a problem with my laptop. I have two drivers showing in the device manager. One is AMD High Definition Audio Device and the other is IDT high definition Audio CODEC. When the AMD driver is enabled, the sound on the laptop barely registers. If I disable that driver then the sound is much louder, but this setup is no where near what I used to hear from my altec lansing/dolby built in stereo speakers. It is frustrating that I cannot simply go get updated at the website with the correct drivers based on my particular build. If I allow windows to do it... it simply is not providing what I used to have.

Secondly, I need to use the "stereo mix" capabilities so that I can record audio "what u hear". That no longer works either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The AMD audio device is just for the HDMI port controlled by the amd graphics adapter.

The IDT HD audio device is for the notebook speakers and to use with headphones.

So, select the IDT HD audio when using the notebook speakers.

Reinstall the W8.1 audio driver from your notebook's support page and restart the PC, and see if that works on W10, since there is no W10 audio driver listed on the support page.

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp59852.exe

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

What version is your IDT HD audio driver? Did these problems start when you upgraded to windows 10?

HP Recommended

8/19/2012

I have been on windows 10 since the free platform rollout a year ago. I had to reload the platform one time since then. The problem started a few weeks back when suddenly, without any action of my own the microphone was no longer picking up my voice (internal when using skype) and the audio used for multiple things other than skype was badly distorted. At that point I attempted to remove the driver for the audio and let windows reinstall. Ever since then there has been conflict. I do not remember what the original configuration was nor the original device driver dates/versions. I came to HP to find out that info (what is the best set up to take advantage of the speakers etc) and nothing is there.

HP Recommended

Hi:

The AMD audio device is just for the HDMI port controlled by the amd graphics adapter.

The IDT HD audio device is for the notebook speakers and to use with headphones.

So, select the IDT HD audio when using the notebook speakers.

Reinstall the W8.1 audio driver from your notebook's support page and restart the PC, and see if that works on W10, since there is no W10 audio driver listed on the support page.

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp59852.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks for that. I have downloaded and changed back to the original driver. What I continue to experience is low volumes using this driver. I noticed that when I play something (currently using chrome browser) such as a movie promo from a site such as amazon.com, the volume mixer shows significantly higher volumes registering on the browser mixer vs. the main volume mixer. This is despite that all volumes are at 100% including the volume from the source. I do the same on my other windows 10 pc - same everything - and there is no difference between what I visually see between the mixer for the browser and the main mixer. It is as though the system is muting the source and what I hear is consequently half as loud or less than it should be.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, since that is the only supported IDT audio driver for your notebook, I don't have any other promising suggestions for you.

This is the IDT audio driver I had to reinstall on my HP 350 G1 notebook.  Mine has the DTS audio, and when I upgraded to the new W10 Anniversary Edition, the upgrade messed up my audio driver and caused the mute button to stay on even when the sound worked.

Installing the W8.1 driver from my notebook's support page resolved the issue.

You might want to give it a try too.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=6709431&swItemId=ob_129659_1&swEnvOid=415...

HP Recommended

I tried the Win8.1 install you provided for mine and I just tried another reinstall with the same result as before. On the positive side, the Stereo Mix option  is back for recording. Apparently, Win10 did something in the past couple of months that has disrupted mine as well. It was working with whatever W10 had in place before that. I just started having problems with Skype and then ultimately playback volumes with a total corruption of the audio. That led to me troubleshooting and the system offers a generic driver (High Definition without the IDT in the title). That gave me back audio level, but removed the Stereo Mix option. 

Are you suggesting that I try the driver for your computer on mine as a potential solution? I'll give it a shot if that is the case.

Are you aware of a source location for all IDT drivers?

Thanks

HP Recommended

You may as well give it a try.

Create a system restore point first in case the driver from my notebook's support page makes things worse.

That way you can just do a system restore to a point before you installed the audio driver.

There are quite a few versions of the IDT audio driver, but most of them are for the Beats audio.

My notebook, like yours. does not have the Beats audio.

HP Recommended

I discovered the Dolby Audio V2 is available to adjust on the control panel under the sound settings. It seems locked to the same basic settings as the volume mixer... however, in moving those settings around, changing the sample rate to different levels, I finally found that the audio got louder. The browser vs. main volume are still not the same (browser is indicating a much louder source), but the main volume did increase using the W8.1 driver and playing around with the above settings. It is still not nearly as loud as it could be based on the altec lansing speakers involved. That is frustrating, but I think it is at least better than it was and I have access to the record "what you hear" options/settings. 

I appreciate your assistance. I'll just hope to read something down the line that indicates a solution, but I'm afraid this laptop is considered a relic already... so doubtful anyone is losing sleep at HP or Microsoft in finding a better driver solution. 🙂

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad you were able to tweak the audio settings a bit louder.

IDT and Conexant audio devices do not play well with upgrades/downgrades of operating systems when no drivers exist for the operating system you are running.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.