Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

Well like some folks Im having problems with my brand new (Not even a week old) HP Envy x360 15T Notebook.
Specs:
i5 5200u w/HD5500 Graphics
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
B&O Audio
FHD IPS Screen Touch.

The issue is: Terrible Crackling Noise, Hiss and Noise problems in Speakers and Headphones.. After doing some troubleshooting myself I pin pointed the issue to the Bang & Olufsen Audio Codec.

The issue became aparent when I updated the Realtek Driver to the lastest version last night.. There werent any noises before after upgrading to Windows 10 (The notebook came with W8.1) but after installing the Realtek drivers the noise began. If I unplug the notebook a horrible crackling noise will happen and its in sync with the brightness level of the screen being lower when entering battery mode. If I plug AC the noise will POP and level out.

Before installing the Realtek Drivers the only issue I had was ground static in headphone mode, I could hear the HDD spinning on the headphones if there werent any music or sound playing but the noise was muffled If I played anything like music or youtube video.

Then with the new realtek drivers the noise was horrible... Crackling Noises and Hiss are completely evident over the music our sound being played, Even on the speakers it is noticeable.

New issues on B&O Audio Codec Control Panel:
B&O Sound Enhance Has never worked on Headphones but at least the EQ Worked, After the Realtek Driver Update B&O EQ has stopped working and the B&O Modes that used to dimm out when the headphones were plugged in are now available and can be changed with no noticeable difference.. This is the key.. B&O Codec is having issues with the new Realtek Driver.. EQ Now only works on Speaker Mode and not on Headphone Mode.. Also in device Manager it now shows Headphones as a separate Hardware?

I Confirmed this over HP Support. B&O is now in  schedule for an Update to make it compatible to Windows 10, By how the Support Clerk wrote it, it seems B&O is not fully compatible with Windows 10.. And the Realtek Update made it evident.

So If your having issues with your Sound on your x360 Notebook with B&O Audio then this could be the issue.

Hope this helps anybody... Right now I havent found a way to Fully Disable B&O Codec without uninstalling it and since there is no way to download it again I choose to wait for the updated Codec.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

One thing that did work was disabling multiple audio deviced on the B&O Control Panel that got rid of the Crackling sound in headphone mode... But speaker mode is still affected.

HP Recommended

I'm having trouble with this issue. My HP Envy has been sent to HP to test it, but they couldn't find the problem. But it's there. A popping sound every so often, crackling. I bought the laptop due to it having the B & O sound enhancement. It's definately the B & O software thats the problem... Update please HP

HP Recommended

Well after almost a Year with the Laptop and SEVERAL Updates.

The issue still remains, And for any new chaps seeing this please look at the OP.. This issue WASN´T there BEFORE the Realtek Update on Windows 10. This is STILL a software issue.

Hiss Noise is clearly audible when something is about to play on an Audio Source (Ex: Youtube Video, Netflix Video, Spotify) The hiss does not get louder with volume settings its just a pop and constant level hiss. Once you close the Audio Source the Laptop does not show any hiss at all with the headphones pluged in, Its no noise at all..

This has been MY ONLY COMPLAINT so far with an otherwise flawless Laptop which is my Main Work Horse.
Seem HP just looked the other way and leaved the OUTDATED Bang & Olufsen driver to Survive in a Windows 10 Enviroment.

The latest issue though... When I plug in my Headphones Volume goes to FULL 11 (100% Volume) automatically regardless of how it was before unplugin it the day before. This is a rather alarming issue because at one point my ears got so hurt by the full volume through my Highly Sensitive headphones (Basically means they can get very LOUD) Now I have to Stop what ever I am listening BEFORE plugin the headphones in and check for the volume. This is ridiculous on a expensive Laptop like this.

HP Recommended

Hi @Skirmich,

Thank you for your query.

I understand that you are getting a crackling, hissing sound from the notebook.  You are also having an issue with the volume going to full after you disconnect headphones and reconnect them.  Here are two links I hope will help you:  HP Notebook PCs - No Sound or Distorted Sound from Speakers (Windows 10) ,  HP PCs - Resolving Microphone Problems (Windows 10, 😎.  If the issue remains, please contact HP Support for assistance. You should still be under warranty.  With your permission, they can remotely access your system to help you to overcome these difficulties.  Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please let me know the outcome.

Please click the “Thumbs Up” below to thank me for my efforts! If one of my posts help you to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please click the "Accept as Solution" so that others who may be having the same difficulty can find the answer more efficiently. Thanks for taking part in the HP Forums! 

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
Problem has gone after resetting the laptop and installing all updates. Also I'm only using W10 antivirus and firewall. All good so far and I've tested it loads
HP Recommended

Sparkles 1

Ive tried all.. I have my PC taken over by the Customer Support before and all check ups OK.. Everything is up to date except the Bluetooth Driver (Which I dont need) and BIOS Update (Which I wont do because it has nothing to do with my issues).

Like I said before the issue is with the Bang & Olufsen Software in Junction with the Realtek Drivers.
My PC was working FLAWLESSLY before the Realtek Driver update.. No need for hard resets or anything it was working with Windows 10 as good as it was with Windows 8.1

Once the Realtek Drivers insalled bamm HISS noise and the poping sounds started. Right now the issues with the Poping sound has gone by itself.. The only issues remaining is the HISS and now the Sudden Max Volume when the headphones are pluged in...  So this issue is with the Drivers and the Olufsen software.

HP Recommended

Phat-ed

Sadly I cant reset my PC as this is what I use for my work load...
Doing a full reset and installing all the updates just to fix the Hiss is not worth it when the issue is clearly a software thing.
HP can update the drivers and fix it... They wont, easy as that.. Luckily this Laptop PROs hugely outweight this issue at least for me... But perhaps someone might now be on the same boat this is why I updated this thread.

HP Recommended

Finally as of 22/01/2017 the sound issues got fixed thanks to another Poster!

As I previously stated the issue was the B&O Drivers that comes with the Realtek Drivers... After following these instructions I FINALLY Got the Audio I paid for, No more Hiss, Crakling Noises!

ORIGINAL POST by "makka64":

""THIS DEFINITELY WORKS FOR ALL HP MODELS WITH B&O

PERMANENTLY RESOLVE HP SPEAKER COMPRESSION (HISSING, CRACKLING DISTORTION WHEN PLAYING VIDEO, MUSIC, ETC)

The problem is caused by Bang and Olufsen audio correction compression - you need to change the driver from Realtek,
to the normal high definition device driver. This affects a lot of HP models with B&O sound. The first part disables the
Realtek driver - the second deletes it permanently.

It's simple and takes 2-3 minutes.

CLICK START - GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
IN THE LIST CLICK 'SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLERS'
RIGHT CLICK 'REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE' - CHOOSE DISABLE - IGNORE WARNING AND CONTINUE
RIGHT CLICK SAME FILE CHOOSE 'UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE' THEN 'BROWSE COMPUTER FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE'
CHOOSE 'LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER'
HIGHLIGHT 'HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO' (NOT REALTEK) CLICK 'NEXT' AGAIN IGNORE WARNING AND CLICK 'YES' -
RESTART / REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED

PLAY A FILE - YOU NOW HAVE NORMAL LAPTOP SOUND!

***IMPORTANT - THE DRIVER WILL REVERT TO REALTEK THE NEXT TIME YOU REBOOT, UNLESS YOU DO THE SECOND PART BELOW)***

AFTER REBOOT (TO **PERMANENTLY GET RID OF THE PROBLEM**)

CLICK START - GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL - 'UNINSTALL A PROGRAM'
HIGHLIGHT REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE AND UNINSTALL IT - ignore any warning

IT'S AN IDEA TO CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS IN CASE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE - IF YOU HAVE AN EARLIER RESTORE POINT YOU CAN SIMPLY ROLL BACK TO THAT. IT IS SIMPLE THOUGH IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. MAKE SURE YOU WANT TO PERMANENTLY GET RID OF B&O BEFORE UNINSTALLING.""

This is the solution for the total lack of HP Support and Driver Updates... This laptop has been my primary Work Horse and it has been very reliable but Audio Wise? It was a complete nightmare, Lack of B&O Audio enchancement for the Laptop Speakers is a miss but the Prisitine and Clear Audio without Hissing or Crackling Noises is well worth it..

THANKS FOR NOTHING HP SUPPORT TEAM.
THANK YOU "makka64" you are the man!

HP Recommended

WOW!! YOU MADE MY DAY!!! i have sent my laptop twice  for fix and it came back with same problem!! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.