Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello all. I have HP Pavilion 15-n031sr notebook, model F2U14EA, OS Ubuntu 14.04. With my notebook i want to use  headphones and microphone with standard three-contact stereo jack plugs. 

User manual for this notebook says: "NOTE: Be sure that the device cable has a 4-conductor
connector that supports both audio-out (headphone) and
audio-in (microphone)."

So, i bought converter where 4-contact male pluged in notebook and  two female sockets from the other side: green is for headphones, red for microphone. I don't know what pinout of this converter is, but headphones plugged in green sockets sounds fine; it's stereo and clean sound. But when i plug my standard 3-contact mic into red socket it clicks and produce huge noise in my headphones. 

My questions are:

1. What pinout of headphone/mic socket for this notebook model? CTIA, OMTP or some else?

2. Is it really unsafe to connect 3-conductor phones directly into notebook socket, or i may use my standard headphones without any converters?

3. Is large clicks on system startup and shutdown (with no mic) causes by incorrect converter? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

This is a puzzel, have a similiar problem. micphoneconn.jpg

You use the Mic and Ground for the Mic and the Left/ Right Ground for the speaker on the to jacks on the left side.  If you use a splitter you (we) still may need a four connection mic Jack. I tried two different splitters that killed the audio, however I used a conector similiar to the first and second one from the right for the microphone and the speakers, causes a mismatch on the microphone Kills the speakers. presume that the splitter uses a 4 contact on all connectors. So I presume that the microphone only will needs to have a four contact jack. Hope this helps. I either have to buy a four contact jack and rewire my microphone or find a three contact to 4 contact microphone adapter. Found the connector on Amazon    3.5mm 4 pole connector

https://www.amazon.com/Areyourshop-Plated-Stereo-Repair-Headphone/dp/B01CJE03OW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&...

Hope this helps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.