Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have tried the suggested solution and have not found it possible to disable the headphone jack without also disabling the speakers! My headphone jack is similarly broken, except that the end of the hadphone has snapped off and has jammed inside, so my computed thinks there are headphones connected despite this not being the case. When I go on playback audio devices it lets me test the sound, but doesn't give options on what to do if that sound isn't playing. I need audio to be able to use my laptop for its purpose of helping me make videos so it is very frustrating that it does not seem possible to seperate the speakers from the headphones, considering those are pretty different devices! 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am a student and have a deadline looming but can't currently do the work on my computer!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi willbee,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers.

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your headphone connection broke off in the port on the notebook and you would like to disable the headhphones.

Open control panel

Go to Hardware and Sound.

click on sound/manage audio devices

select the playback tab

right click on the headphones and select disable

If you wish to reenable it, you will need to open Device manager

right click on sound video and game controllers

click on the IDT HIgh Definition Audio Codec and right click and uninstall

Click on action on the top and scan for hardware changes, this will resinstall the drivers and the headphones will be reenabled.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
I have this problem with a HP 15-ba079dx.

I separated the headphone jack from the integrated speakers by hitting the Windows button and typing "Realtek". For this particular model it brought up the DTS Sound Studio. From there I went to advanced settings and "enabled playback multi-streaming". This split the integrated speakers from the headphone jack. Then I went into playback devices and set default on the integrated speakers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.