Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Spectre XT 13-2150nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have had no problems with the laptop's audio/speaker until I recently connected it to a MI bluetooth speaker. When I disconnected it after using, the default internal speakers and earphone jacks cannot be detected (right-click audio icon -> playback device -> default devices cannot be found) and the audio icon in the bottom right corner is always showing a red cross.

I tried connecting the bluetooth speakers again and it is working fine, but after disconnection the problem came back and I couldn't enable audio of any sort.

I really need to use earphones when I'm in public and can't depend on my bluetooth speakers for everything.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Sharon-Lee,

Good day. May the forums welcome you! 🙂 It is a great location to find resolutions.

I reviewed the post about the speakers not working correctly. I’ll be more than happy to assist you here. 🙂

At the outset, you’ve diagnosed the issue perfectly and performed great analysis of the situation before posting the query on HP forums.

Excellent job on that score. Kudos to you. It is always a privilege to work with technically savvy customers.

I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. We value your relationship with HP and wish to serve you better. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this happen after a software or windows update?
  • Did you try to connect a headset to the audio port of the unit and check if the headset produces sound?
  • Did you check in device manager if the drivers are correctly installed?

For starters, please try these steps.

Please visit device manager and uninstall the audio drivers.

These links helps to resolve audio issues with the computer: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Spectre-XT-Ultrabook-13-2100/5296014/model/5318871/document/c...

Link 2: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Spectre-XT-Ultrabook-13-2100/5296014/model/5318871/document/c...

Then check if the speakers work by playing a few music tracks. If this does not work, please connect your headset, to the audio port of the computer and check again. If they work fine, then the internal speakers are faulty and need to be replaced.

You could contact HP phone support to get the unit serviced by following these steps.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If it is under warranty, then the factory warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

I
f this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David, i have the same problem; and I do respect that you are an HP engineer, but this is *NOT*, in any way, a "solution." At best, this is a workaround! An HP customer should never have to UNINSTALL a driver completely, just to switch from bluetooth or dock-based audio back to internal laptop speakers; and my brand new HP Zbook 15 G5 does the same exact thing; after being connected for audio use with a Jabra headset through an HP 230W dock. Once the bluetooth adapter is removed, the audio control immediately goes to a red X.

Please find a "switch-able" solution, so we can "switch back and forth" from docked, bluetooth headset or speakers back to the internal laptop speaker, without having to uninstall a driver - this CANNOT be that difficult to figure out! Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.