Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15 notebook W0Q62AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a brand new pc purchased from hp and my Bang and Olufsen Microphone Array keeps moving to mute.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled under hp recovery however it is still moving to mute after I move it to max volume it will stay for a couple of seconds then go back to mute.  What can I do???

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi @TopFueler,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that microphone on your laptop keeps muting by itself.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Right click the speaker icon on lower right of your computer. (Near date / time)
2. Select "Recording Devices" from the pop-up options.
3. The "Sound" control pop-up window will display on the "Recording" tab.
4. Select the "Communications" tab.
5. For the question: "When Windows detects communications activity:", answer with: "Do nothing".
6. Select "Apply"

7. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self-adjusts. 
8. If the problem is solved, close all pop-ups, enjoy. If the problem persists, try the following:

9. Click the "Recording" tab of the "Sound" pop-up window.
10. Right, click the used microphone and select "Properties".
11. Select the "Advanced" tab within the new pop-up window.
12. In the "Exclusive Mode" section, uncheck the following option: "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
13. Click the "Apply" button.

14. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self-adjusts.

For more details, please follow this link.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did not fix problem still sell adjusting to mute I tried both solutions.

HP Recommended

Hi @TopFueler,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, don't worry I have  a few other steps which should help to resolve this issue,

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Disable enhancements

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

2. Change format of the Microphone

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16-bit options on the list.

Let me know how it goes and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Cheers!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I disabled enhancements and changed to 16 bit still does the same thing.  It alows me to turn microphone array all the way up however it switches back to mute.

HP Recommended

Hello, @TopFueler

I see that you were interacting with @Jeet_singh. I'd like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

Please try and run a virus scan on your PC. This seems to have helped one other customer with the similar issue. Restart the PC once done and check.

If the issue persists, then let's try the steps listed below and check:

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter:

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if the microphone isn't disabled:

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if the microphone isn't muted:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

That should do the trick. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

step 3 there is no microphone icon only speaker and microsoft server icon i slide them all to 100% however they move back to mute.  step 4 the same thing happens on the level tab i move to 100% and it moves back to mute.  really frustrating. 

HP Recommended

is there something else I can install i have tried everything.  I purchased straight from the HP factory something must have not been installed correctly.  Is there someone I can Call? 

HP Recommended

@TopFueler

Hi,

as @ Dvortex is out of the office today, I'm replying to you.

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers? If not yet then please follow the below steps:

• Open device manager.
  • Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
  • Right click on the drivers listed under it and uninstall them.
  • Later you may download and install the audio drivers from this link.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists then it might be a Windows operating system issue. I suggest you to refresh (repair the Windows operating system).

NOTE: Though this link is for Win8, it would help to refresh Win10 too.

The Refresh option is primarily a repair method - a way to return your computer to a known good state.

The following list shows what happens when you refresh your computer:

• Your files and personalization settings such as libraries, user accounts, and desktop themes are saved.

• The computer settings are returned to the defaults.

• Apps from the Windows store are reinstalled, and the settings are reset to their defaults. Internet connectivity is not required to reinstall these apps.

• Desktop apps are removed unless they were installed by the computer manufacturer. At the end of the refresh process, an HTML file called Removed Apps.html is placed on the desktop with a list of the desktop apps that were removed.

Please let me know the outcome. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the Bang and Olufsen app before(twice) and it didnt work.  I am running windows 10 its a brand new factory direct custom pc I am running windows 10

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.