Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP15

When I turn my computer on, it now loads faster and when I am on my main screen there are no apps that come up now. It was in sleep more earlier last night and when I went back on it was just a black screen and I couldnt turn it off. No matter how long I left it for it to refresh the black screen stayed. I tried manually shutting it down and all it would do is go in to sleep mode. So I had to pull the battery. After doing so, it was a slow reboot and then did it again of black screen. I was able to turn it off right. I let it set and rebooted and thats when it started loading quicker but no main apps on main screen to click on. I think I need to do a manufacturing reset but I cant seem to figure it out.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@TeamDamon

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about no apps on your main screen and wanted to help -- but need more information.

First of all, we need the detailed product number of your PC: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0001

Second, we need to know which OS version is running: Win7, Win8, Win10.

Third,  if running Win10., did the PC come preinstalled with Win10? Or, did you upgrade it from a prior OS to Win10?

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The computer is a HP 15 notebook. The serial number is [Personal Information Removed]
and product number is J9M28UA#ABA. I updated my computer to Windows 10 when it gave me the notice to do so.  Now tonight when I turned it on, still no pinned apps on my main screen but when I click on my All Tiles, I have everything that came installed on the computer and lost everything else for the apps as if it was reset on its own. Its really strange and now loading a slower like it did when I had all my pinned apps on my computer.

HP Recommended

@TeamDamon

OK, thanks for the info ...

When you upgrade a PC to Win10, that is known to corrupt the HP Recovery information stored on that PC.  This means that after that Upgrade, no HP Reset function is going to work, either by pressing F11, or by running the HP Recovery Manager.  And, if you TRY to do that, you risk corrupting the PC and rendering it unusable.

So, instead of doing a Reset, what might work is something known as  Repair-Install.  This is the least destructive of all the Windows recovery functions and rewrites the Windows system files, including the drivers, leaving your data, settings, and applications intact.

To do this, you will need to use the link to download Win10 installation media and either burn a DVD or create a USB stick: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Note that when you go do download and build install media, the tool defaults to matching what is already installed on your PC (as in, Home for Home, 64-bit for 64-bit). Make sure you select the same version as needed for your PC. If you do not, the resulting media will be different and will force you to enter a NEW product code!

Once you have that media, follow the instructions in the link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Thank you. I will definitely if that a try. Thank you again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.