Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Does anybody know which quirk should be added to patch_realtek.c for laptop model 'HP ENVY Laptop 17-cr0xxx'?

HP Recommended

Finally guys!! We are now approaching a working Linux kernel for almost all HP Envy/x360 laptops! Kernel 6.9 that soon will be release as RC1 will have a lot of fixes for the internal speakers. As you can see in this commit https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/diff/sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek....

i have already tried patching the 6.7.9 and 6.8 kernel with my specific quirk for my Hp Envy x360 13-bf000 and it works perfectly!

diff --git sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c
index a1facdb98d9a..e705334c286d 100644
--- sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c
+++ sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c
@@ -9950,6 +9950,7 @@ static const struct snd_pci_quirk alc269_fixup_tbl[] = {
        SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8a0f, "HP Pavilion 14-ec1xxx", ALC287_FIXUP_HP_GPIO_LED),
        SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8a20, "HP Laptop 15s-fq5xxx", ALC236_FIXUP_HP_MUTE_LED_COEFBIT2),
        SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8a25, "HP Victus 16-d1xxx (MB 8A25)", ALC245_FIXUP_HP_MUTE_LED_COEFBIT),
+       SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8a28, "HP Envy X360 13-bfxxx", ALC287_FIXUP_CS35L41_I2C_2),
        SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8a78, "HP Dev One", ALC285_FIXUP_HP_LIMIT_INT_MIC_BOOST),
        SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8aa0, "HP ProBook 440 G9 (MB 8A9E)", ALC236_FIXUP_HP_GPIO_LED),
        SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x103c, 0x8aa3, "HP ProBook 450 G9 (MB 8AA1)", ALC236_FIXUP_HP_GPIO_LED),

So if you don't have the knowledge to patch your own kernel then make sure to get the 6.9 kernel when it gets released!

The guys from the linux community and developers from Cirrus has made an awesome job, and no thanks to HP. This is why OPEN SOURCE RULES!

HP Recommended

That's awesome news. Any chance you'd walk through it a bit? I'd like to use OpenSUSE which is on the 6.7.9 kernel now. I've got a "15-ee0xxx" Envy x360. Do the mute speakers and/or mic LED indicators work too? I see some stuff on that page about LEDs. 

HP Recommended

Hi!.

The mute leds are not working for my model right now. And i haven't really looked in to it but there are some quirks popping up that fixes the led on some machines so it should work pretty soon.

I have an DKMS module that patches the kernel for me. I have begin to setup instructions and code on my github where you also can find the dkms module. https://github.com/luxwarp/hp-envy-x360-13-bf0xxx-linux/tree/main/hp-envy-x360-13-bf0xxx-realtek-0.1

However in the patch-file you need to update the quirk to match your subsystem id which you can find out by running

cat /sys/class/sound/hwC0D0/subsystem_id

For instance, my id is "0x103c8a28"

HP Recommended

Okay, the I2C_2 only matters if it is actually an ALC287, check that is the right one in dmesg as that sets some LED parameters, then it is adding the right bit after for the LEDs, I've not narrowed this down to the right one yet for this 17 inch (ruled out COEFBIT so far, I'm just compiling into kernel itself), but need to check but any ALC245 quirk works (and that is the firmware being loaded in dmesg) as well as the ALC287 one in your patch there.for the sound side.

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry to bother you but I'm having problems compiling the kernel (I'm newbie). Once I do "make menuconfig", "make", "make modules_install", I issue the "make install" command but says:

unning the pre_build script:
Building for kernel version 6.9.0-rc1
Downloading source 6.9 for installed kernel 6.9.0-rc1
--2024-03-26 01:20:19-- https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v6.x/linux-6.9.tar.xz
Resolving mirrors.edge.kernel.org (mirrors.edge.kernel.org)... 147.75.199.223, 2604:1380:45d1:ec00::1
Connecting to mirrors.edge.kernel.org (mirrors.edge.kernel.org)|147.75.199.223|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
2024-03-26 01:20:19 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Extracting original source of the kernel module
tar: linux-6.9.tar.*: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Applying patch_realtek.patch
can't find file to patch at input line 3
Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c.orig
|+++ sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c
--------------------------
File to patch:

Can anyone help me?

HP Recommended

I have HP ENVY x360 2-in-1 Laptop 15-ew0xxx. Is there any patch to fix the sound for this machine. I am using ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

HP Recommended

Easiest way is if you install latest kernel 6.9 how ever it's still in rc version 🙂

HP Recommended

how would i do this on linux exactly? some basic steps would be nice to see.

HP Recommended

Are you using ubuntu you have some information here https://sypalo.com/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.