Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have had several dvds made from old videos. I am trying to play them on my pavillion g6. I get no video or audio.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
After spending all day on this~ I believe the problem is maybe with the DVD's Photo Bin converted for me. I will do further research on other players with these DVD's and see if that is the problem. Thank you so much for your time!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following:

1.  Do the DVDs work fine in other devices?

2.  Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives, right click the drive and select Properties - on the General tab, is there an error code showing in the Device status box?

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yes...it does work in other devices and no...there is not an error code in the device status box

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you post back with the following details.

The full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a guide on locating this information.

The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 8 64bit ).

The software you're using to try and play the DVD.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

OK...the model is HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC. The product # is #A6Y4UA#ABA. The serial # is [edited Serial Number by Moderator]. It is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service pack 1. Software I am using...??

HP Recommended

Hi,

Open windows Control Panel.  In the top right, next to View by: select 'Large icons' from the dropdown box.

Open the entry AutoPlay.

Under the sub-headng DVDs, what is listed in the box to the right of DVD Movie?

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Listed in the box is : Play DVD movie using Windows Media Player

HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try the automated fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

Microsoft Fixit - Windows 7

Check if the drive will now play the DVD.

If it still doesn't work, click the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter. 

Next, click the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.  Next click to open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.  Right click the drive and select Uninstall.  Do not delete drivers if asked.  When the device has uninstalled click on the 'Scan for Hardware Changes' icon ( usually just below Help on the toolbar ).  Let windows reinstall the drive and see if it now works.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

It took a long while to complete all those steps! After all was finished I sinserted the DVD into the player and nothing comes up again. Maybe this is a hopeless matter! If you do reply back with anything else~ I will be away from my computer for awhile so there will be a break in my reply back. Thanks so much!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're more than welcome :generic:

Before trying anything further, can you let me know if other DVDs and CDs play Ok or does the drive not detect/[lay any disc?

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.