Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 17-w03np
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, about 3 days ago i bought a sealed brand new HP OMEN 17-W03np which comes with Windows 10 Home (64-bit), i noticed there were some problems with the sound which have been a constant problem since day one. 

Before and after any sound plays there are these pops/crackling sounds that are noticable (and pretty irritating), the sound appears to play fine after it starts but in a few occasions the sound actually started breaking and there were random pauses while playing sound. There was also this one time the volume randomly went up and down on its own when pausing a sound (in this case it was a video) and then playing it again.

Random pops/crackling have also happened while i was on my browser on web pages but there was no sound sources in the web page at all. 

I've attempted to use earphones while testing sound, and while using them the pops/crackling sound sometimes come out through the earphones, but sometimes they also come out through the notebooks built-in speakers despite the fact the sound is then played through the earphones (which i found pretty strange). 

This is my first experience with HP and i have to say i am feeling quite dissapointed, could this be a software problem or will i have to send my notebook back? 

I'd also like to point out that no major program/software installations have been done as this is a brand new notebook so most of the programs/software in it right now are the ones that come pre-installed with the notebook. 

I will await a reply, Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SunseTiger wrote:

Hello, thank you for your reply, i've tried following the instructions you gave me and i have failed to locate the DTS Studio Sound, i've tried looking around in "hardware and sound" but found nothing, i've tried using the search bar on the control panel and nothing comes up, i've also tried looking in the properties of my speakers but i can't find anything. Could you tell me step-by-step where DTS Studio Sound is located? (Could my notebook simply not have DTS Studio Sound?)

Thank you.

Hi,

Can you check if you are using Bang and Ofulsen? If yes follow the steps here.

CLICK START - GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
IN THE LIST CLICK 'SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLERS'
RIGHT CLICK 'REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE' - CHOOSE DISABLE - IGNORE WARNING AND CONTINUE
RIGHT CLICK SAME FILE CHOOSE 'UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE' THEN 'BROWSE COMPUTER FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE'
CHOOSE 'LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER'
HIGHLIGHT 'HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO' (NOT REALTEK) CLICK 'NEXT' AGAIN IGNORE WARNING AND CLICK 'YES' -
RESTART / REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED

PLAY A FILE - YOU NOW HAVE NORMAL LAPTOP SOUND!

***IMPORTANT - THE DRIVER WILL REVERT TO REALTEK THE NEXT TIME YOU REBOOT, UNLESS YOU DO THE SECOND PART BELOW)***

AFTER REBOOT (TO **PERMANENTLY GET RID OF THE PROBLEM**)

CLICK START - GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL - 'UNINSTALL A PROGRAM'
HIGHLIGHT REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE AND UNINSTALL IT - ignore any warning

IT'S AN IDEA TO CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS IN CASE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE - IF YOU HAVE AN EARLIER RESTORE POINT YOU CAN SIMPLY ROLL BACK TO THAT. IT IS SIMPLE THOUGH IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. MAKE SURE YOU WANT TO PERMANENTLY GET RID OF B&O BEFORE UNINSTALLING.

Credits goes to @makka64

Regards

Norman

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is definitely a software related issue with windows 10. Follow these steps to rectify the concern.

To resolve this issue, disable the DTS Audio enhancement option in the Control Panel.

1.Click Windows Start.

2.Click Control Panel.

3.Click DTS Studio Sound.

4.Select Listening Experience.

5.Uncheck the Audio Enhancements option.

6.Click Save to save the changes.

7.Close Control Panel.

Regards

Norman

If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for your reply, i've tried following the instructions you gave me and i have failed to locate the DTS Studio Sound, i've tried looking around in "hardware and sound" but found nothing, i've tried using the search bar on the control panel and nothing comes up, i've also tried looking in the properties of my speakers but i can't find anything. Could you tell me step-by-step where DTS Studio Sound is located? (Could my notebook simply not have DTS Studio Sound?)

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@SunseTiger wrote:

Thank you.

Hi,

Can you check if you are using Bang and Ofulsen? If yes follow the steps here.

CLICK START - GO TO DEVICE MANAGER
IN THE LIST CLICK 'SOUND VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLERS'
RIGHT CLICK 'REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE' - CHOOSE DISABLE - IGNORE WARNING AND CONTINUE
RIGHT CLICK SAME FILE CHOOSE 'UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE' THEN 'BROWSE COMPUTER FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE'
CHOOSE 'LET ME PICK FROM A LIST OF DEVICE DRIVERS ON MY COMPUTER'
HIGHLIGHT 'HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO' (NOT REALTEK) CLICK 'NEXT' AGAIN IGNORE WARNING AND CLICK 'YES' -
RESTART / REBOOT WHEN PROMPTED

PLAY A FILE - YOU NOW HAVE NORMAL LAPTOP SOUND!

***IMPORTANT - THE DRIVER WILL REVERT TO REALTEK THE NEXT TIME YOU REBOOT, UNLESS YOU DO THE SECOND PART BELOW)***

AFTER REBOOT (TO **PERMANENTLY GET RID OF THE PROBLEM**)

CLICK START - GO TO THE CONTROL PANEL - 'UNINSTALL A PROGRAM'
HIGHLIGHT REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE AND UNINSTALL IT - ignore any warning

IT'S AN IDEA TO CREATE A RESTORE POINT BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS IN CASE YOU MAKE A MISTAKE - IF YOU HAVE AN EARLIER RESTORE POINT YOU CAN SIMPLY ROLL BACK TO THAT. IT IS SIMPLE THOUGH IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. MAKE SURE YOU WANT TO PERMANENTLY GET RID OF B&O BEFORE UNINSTALLING.

Credits goes to @makka64

Regards

Norman

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you once again for your reply, i created a restore point and then followed the intructions you posted and they worked! However there is only one problem, after installing the new "high definition audio" driver i was not prompted to restart/reboot. (but the sound appears to play pops/crackling free now) Did i do something wrong?

I later did a regular restart on my own and the new driver stayed. 

I assume it will only revert back to the Realtek driver once Windows 10 updates. 

I tried going to the control panel to do the uninstall but there was no "REALTEK HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO DEVICE" listed, instead there were these three with the word "Realtek" in it: 

Realtek Card Reader

Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

I assume i must uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver, but i just want to make sure, could you confirm that is the one i must uninstall? 

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi,

There are two different approach to fix the crackling sound that I sent from Makkas post. Which one did you followed?

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back from the office 🙂

Regards,

Norman

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.