Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ac158dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Earlier this week I received and downloaded the latest update to Windows 10. It went smoothly as expected and everything seemed fine until yesterday I began to experience a buzzing scratch noise from my laptop speakers. It was intermittent at first and then it escalated. Certain music and audio like dialogue and certain songs experiences this scratching noise along side the regular audio a lot.

To test wither the cause is physical (speakers themselves) or software related (due to update) I have done the following.

I have tried what was said in this question; http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/HP-15-audio-crackles-unless-headphones-plugged-in/td-p/5....

I have created a system restore point on the notebook and backup complete data and uninstalled the audio drivers from device manager and reinstalled it.

It has not worked and I am now assuming it is a physical problem with the speakers themselves. If that is the case, what should I do? A check seems to show that my warranty is still applicable; should I go with it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@cannonfodder-14

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the headphones function properly, however, the speakers create an excessive noise and considering the fact that you have already reinstalled the drivers, attempted a backup & restore but the issue persists,

It's time you contact the HP phone support and get a repair service (free of charge, since your computer is covered by the HP Warranty).

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@cannonfodder-14

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 
I'll be glad to help you 🙂

As I understand the headphones function properly, however, the speakers create an excessive noise and considering the fact that you have already reinstalled the drivers, attempted a backup & restore but the issue persists,

It's time you contact the HP phone support and get a repair service (free of charge, since your computer is covered by the HP Warranty).

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will send the laptop over for repairs and see what it is like when it comes back. I have accepted your solution because it makes sense given the option I have. Thanks for the assistence. 🙂

HP Recommended

I have recieved my laptop after getting it sent out for repairs; it turned out to be a software issue. (Due to that update I presume)

I have turned off the audio enhancements as recommended and the scratchy audio problems went away. Unfortunately at the cost of some sound quality. 

But you have my thanks for your assistance. It was very much appreciated. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.