Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hello!

So ive had an hp 15-g029wm (generic af, I know) for over three years now, and I'm finally getting hit with an issue. I can turn the device on, but after doing so, it says "Preparing Automatic Repair" and then after a five minute long black screen "Diagnosing your PC" and then "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete." And then it kind of chills there forever. Also, I originally had windows 8 when I bought it, and then I was given a free upgrade to Windows 10. I don't know how to enter the bios menu or whatever, and I feel like I've mashed every button to get some sort of reaction out of this beast.

Let me know your thoughts 🙂
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The hard drive has failed/is failing and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

To enter BIOS, start a System Recovery, run System Diagnostics ,etc- immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This should bring up a menu with the options. I would suggest F2 for System Diagnostics to test the hard drive first.

HP Recommended
Alrighty, I ran the test, and it stopped after 1%, saying that the "Hard Drive Short DST Check" has failed.
HP Recommended

The hard drive has failed/is failing and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Media to install Windows. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

HP Recommended
Do you have any recommendations on where to buy one?? I'm only finding ones for almost $200, which is almost the cost of the laptop.
HP Recommended

$200 is way more than I would expect to pay for a hard drive. Usually they can be found for quite a bit less than $100.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-500GB-Mobile-Hard-Drive/dp/B00C9TECFO/ref=pd_sim_147_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51sP...

https://www.amazon.com/Black-500GB-Performance-Mobile-Drive/dp/B00QFXOL5G/ref=pd_sim_147_6?ie=UTF8&d...

HP Recommended
I looked at the model number of my harddrive-does it have to match perfectly with these ones?
HP Recommended

No, the model does not have to match. HP uses several brands themselves in various models.Only the capacity should match or exceed original hdd. That is due to Recovery Media expecting a certain size/capacity.

HP Recommended
Awesome 🙂 thank you so much!!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.