Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7-4263cl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I was trying to update my laptop to Windows 10 and when it was finding updates, my laptop prompted me to restart my laptop for an update so I thought maybe restarting it was the updates that would finalize the upgrade.

So I restarted my laptop and all the graphics turned pink/purple and all distorted and it was really hard to see anything in general. The resolution was fixed from 1600x900 to 640x480 so it made everything a lot smaller as well while having discoloration. I went into dxdiag and a display adapter wasn't detected. I even tried to hook up a dvi and hdmi cable to see if it was just the laptop but it reflected on my monitor as well.

Then it got worse.

I ran across a suggestion to run chkdsk and the scan mentioned over 300,000 errors so I scheduled a fix for the next restart and restarted immediately to see if that would fix my distorted graphics. When chkdsk was presumably over, my laptop restarted and it boots to nothing but a black screen; no Windows logo, no "press esc to enter startup menu", nothing. The wireless button where F12 is located is a solid orange, no blinking light. The light for caps lock is solid white with no blinking as well. When the battery is in the laptop, it's blinking orange steadily but I know that's because the battery is really old and it can't really hold any charge anymore. With the battery off, it's a solid white, no blinking.

I assume the hard drive is still working since upon startup it makes the clicking noise that sounds like the laptop is accessing it. I used multiple flashlights to see if the backlight is dead because that's happened to me before and I can't see anything at all. I got this laptop over 4 years ago and usually they last longer since I take good care of my laptop; heck my old laptop that has Windows XP still works like a charm.

So now I'm unsure what to do. I pressed F8 because I saw that as a suggestion, I opened it and cleaned out the dust. Other than those ideas, I'm all out of them after trying to find if anyone's come with a resolution for a problem similar to mine.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @AssumingUnicorn,

Welcome to HP Forums

I have read your post and wanted to help.

I undertstand that your laptop starts but the screen remains black.

Here is a document may help: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

Please try the hard reset on the document first.

If the hard reset does not work, follow the part "LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank". Try connecting an external monitor and other steps listed.

Let me know if any of the steps works.

If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@SDJL , I tried the hard reset a few times and I didn't see a change. I've performed all the steps under the section regarding "LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank" including hooking up my laptop to an external monitor. I used a DVI cable and even HDMI to see if either methods would have the laptop displaying on my monitor but neither worked as well.

@SDJL wrote:

Hi @@AssumingUnicorn,

Welcome to HP Forums

I have read your post and wanted to help.

I undertstand that your laptop starts but the screen remains black.

Here is a document may help: HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

Please try the hard reset on the document first.

If the hard reset does not work, follow the part "LEDs glow, fan noise is heard, but display is black or blank". Try connecting an external monitor and other steps listed.

Let me know if any of the steps works.

If this post helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say "thanks" for my effort to help, click the "thumbs up" to give me Kudos.

Regards,

HP Recommended

Hi @AssumingUnicorn,

You may consider contacting HP support or a local repair store to arrange a repair. 

To contact HP support, use the following link http://www.hp.com/contacthp to create a case for your issue, and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html to get the contact information for your region.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I was afraid that would be the only choice. Any estimate on how much it would be?

HP Recommended

Hi @AssumingUnicorn,

They will give you an estimated cost.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.