Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem: Black Screen, fan not working,  power light comes on, no other lights

Troubleshooting attempts

- hard restart

- checked voltage on power 19.7 VDC

-removed battery and  held the power button for 25 seconds  attempted restart

- with main power the power light stays on without battery connected (disconnected battery)

- attempted Windows button and b button as per HP video

-swapped RAM sticks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Don't know if this will help but Here's a video from HP Support about diagnosing the issue of the laptop starting but having a black screen instead of any display:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj6kYmT7GLs

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
In this video, you will see how to fix an HP laptop with a black screen. If you can hear the fans and hard drives when you turn on your laptop but the screen remains black, follow the steps in this video to try resetting the laptop. Learn how to check the video card, recover the BIOS, and reset ...
HP Recommended

Yes, I saw the video and tried all the suggestions, still black. I have a battery on order and I will replace it and see if it fixes the problem.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue and suspect its the battery. Were you able to resolve the issue with the new battery?

HP Recommended
Spoiler

Battery did not fix problem. I  scrapped all the good parts and bought a new notebook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.