Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13-S100nd (N9Q86EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Around october 2015 the school i work for bought a serie of 25 Pavilion 13-S100nd notebooks. All where working fine until 2 weeks ago. The first notebook that arrived with a black screen was also fallen and the screen was cracked so i tossed it in the bin as i suspected the screen had died. Less than a week later another 2 notebooks of the serie show up with the same issue and today a fourth one has come up.

Summary of the issue:

When we turn on the notebook the light on the power button goes on, the cpu fan and disk starts spinning. But the screen of the notebooks stays black. I tried to look really good but there is really nothing to see, so i guess i can rule out defective backlights. Sometimes when you turn it on it stays on and sometimes he seems to reboot a couple of times.

What we tried so far:

- Hold the power for 15 seconds, the notebook turns off but still a black screen after we turn it on again.

- Disconnect the battery and CMOS battery for 30 minutes, after that still a black screen.

- Replace the memory module (tried this on 1 of the notebooks), but still a black screen.

- Tried to boot it with and without AC power, but this doesn't seems to make a difference.

What i want to know:

- Does anyone know of other trics to try to get it to work again.

- Is this a known issue to these series of notebooks, can i expect that the rest of the series will die out soon too.

Ofcourse the biggest problem is that they have run out of warranty but we really need the notebooks for our kids to work as our school not yet has the funds to replace them. They are only still 1,5 years old and we replace them after 3.

Regards,

Jeroen de Bok

-Edit-

So i fixed the problem, for all other readers with the same problem:

I ran into a bit of text about recovering your BIOS of a notebook (by holding the Windows + B key during starup). First it didn't do much, because we have not HP_TOOLS partition. But i noticed the Caps lock led flashing indicating that he could find a recovery file. After using the hp setup to create a recovery flashdrive we have working laptops again 🙂 Still leaves me wondering how the BIOS of 4 notebooks went corrupt in 2 weeks 😕 Also somehow the recovery flashdrive has to be reflashed after each recovery.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.