Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 430

I just purchased this laptoop used and upon arrival, it would not boot into Windows. I had assumed that I was mislead in the product description and that I had no OS installed. No big deal, I downloaded Linux Mint and was able to boot from the USB and install that just fine.

However, now I have a Windows USB and it will NOT boot from this device. I have tried 2 different ones so far (that work on other machines). Each time the computer starts, I click the F9 option to boot from the USB, after a quick flash, I eventually get the dreaded "No Bootable Device Found" message. I have tried enabling / disabling Legacy Mode. I have attempted to disable SecureBoot, thogh, my BIOS will not allow me to make this adjustment as the checkbox is simply greyed out.

Quite frankly, I've researched myself silly and cannot find any further advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sadllama 

You should not be having problems like this with a new PC!

You paid for free HP Tech Support as part of the warranty coverage, so you might as well make use of it.

Unfortunately, we are NOT HP Tech Support and we have no way to diagnose or repair your PC, so while this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about troubleshooting and repairing your machine remotely.

If they are unable to fix your PC, then you need to explore what options you have to get it replaced under the warranty.

To contact HP Support  Goto this page https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, but I purchased this item "used" so I'm fairly certain that I have no warranty.

HP Recommended

@sadllama 

You're right -- I didn't see the "used" remark.

Since this PC boots from Linux install media and other PCs boot from USB sticks that this PC does NOT boot from -- I have no idea what to tell you.  As if it was the usual Secure Boot issue that plagues modern PCs, it would not boot from the Linux install media.

Sorry, but most folks sell their laptops because they don't work right anymore and they don't want to sink money into fixing them.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.