Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j038tx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

After recently installing an SSD in my notebook, I have been experiencing regular freezes that always end in a hard reboot. I switched to the SSD because my hard drive was failing and no online solutions seem to help my situation. Is this model of laptop compatible with SSD's?

Laptop: HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j038tx

SSD: Micron c400-mtfddak256mam - 256gb - SMART health check reports 99% health

I'm assuming this is an issue with the SATA controller but all software and drivers are up to date. There is also no option in the bios to change from ACSI to IDE as some online articles have suggested to fix the problem. 

Side notes:

A clone of the system was made to the SSD via a cloning tool prior to installation of a resetted and updated windows 8.1.

HDD worked without system freezes but was slow and had a long response time due to how many write cycles it's been through.

All drivers have been updated and including updates through windows update.

Multiple fresh copies of windows 10 also had the freezing issues.

Also just before the computer hangs the drive increases to 100% usage but with no read or write happening. 

This is just very puzzling to me and I'm not sure what to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @jgilc10, thanks for the response.

Thanks for your time and thanks for performing the troubleshooting steps.

As you mentioned option is not available in BIOS. 

Please replace the hard drive with the list of drives I had provided previously.

You should not have any performance issue with your PC after replacing the hard drive.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @jgilc10, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand that the system freezes after upgrading the hard drive to SSD drive.

According to the specifications of your laptop. Your laptop only supports SATA drives.

Listed below are the only supported drives for your laptop.

1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm 676521-001
750-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm 634250-001
500-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5- and 7.0-mm 683802-001

Refer maintenance and service guide for more information: http://hp.care/2evQeGA

However, you can try few steps.

Go to BIOS and check the mode if it is  SATA, AHCI or IDE? If it is AHCI mode change it to IDE mode and check if that helps.

I will watch for your reply.

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I thought that might have been the case. There are no options in the bios to change sata controller mode but in the device manager there is some Intel 8 series chipset driver with AHCI at the end of its name. I might just have to switch back to my hard drive, it's seen some days. Anyway, thanks for your answer. 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi! @jgilc10, thanks for the response.

Thanks for your time and thanks for performing the troubleshooting steps.

As you mentioned option is not available in BIOS. 

Please replace the hard drive with the list of drives I had provided previously.

You should not have any performance issue with your PC after replacing the hard drive.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for your time and effort in answering my questions. Have a wonderful day/night. 🙂
HP Recommended

@MrRobot

One last question, would my laptop be compatible with a: WD WD10JPLX 1TB Black 2.5" 7200RPM 9.5mm SATA3 HDD?

I am looking for a new drive but the replacement offered through HP and other resellers is too expensive. Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.