Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

This problem started a few days after I bought this computer in June, and I've tried everything I can think of including restoring to factory and nothing has helped. I really don't want to return this one because I really like it but I can't stand this start up problem anymore. I bought this one after I had returned a dv6 for a power problem, it wouldn't turn on at all after I had had it for only a couple weeks.

When the laptop is turned on it starts up then hangs on the windows start up screen. It takes a couple more tries of the power button, repair tool, before I can get it to come up. The repair tool is useless for this problem. In this process I also end up with BSOD and stop errors. The stop error that comes up now is 0X00009086. I will not use restore anymore because it doesn't help either.

A brand new computer, not even a month old and it has this major problem. I've read others postings on the dv7 and haven't found anything else to try.

Windows 7 home.

I would appreciate any ideas to try before I end up taking this one back too.  Doesn't bode well for buying another HP again that's for sure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

I had already tried the first two options and they didn't help.

When I tried the 3rd option you gave the process stopped at    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys.  I looked this up and found it was a problem in Vista too. I've been reading through the postings for this but have not tried anything yet.

The BSOD Stop Error ....9086 is associated with this starting hangup.

I did go to Intel's site and ran their checker tool then updated the HM65 Express Chipset. This didn't have any affect on the win start page hanging.

I ran sfc and it found no integrity violations. 

I've been leaving my laptop on because it's easier then trying to get it running again since it now takes 4-5 tries to get it working. It really aggravates me that I'm having this problem with a new computer.

What do I try next?

Thank you for your help on this.

Louise

03-20-16    UPDATE ON THIS PROBLEM.

I installed Windows 7 Pro and haven't had a problem with start up since.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

First, try resetting the bios defaults as follows.

Tap away at f10 as soon as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

If the above has no effect on the issue, again, tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  If windows is able to load in this mode, open windows Control Panel, open Programs and Features, right click on the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and select Uninstall - when this has completed, restart the notebook and see if Windows will now boot normally.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello,

I had already tried the first two options and they didn't help.

When I tried the 3rd option you gave the process stopped at    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys.  I looked this up and found it was a problem in Vista too. I've been reading through the postings for this but have not tried anything yet.

The BSOD Stop Error ....9086 is associated with this starting hangup.

I did go to Intel's site and ran their checker tool then updated the HM65 Express Chipset. This didn't have any affect on the win start page hanging.

I ran sfc and it found no integrity violations. 

I've been leaving my laptop on because it's easier then trying to get it running again since it now takes 4-5 tries to get it working. It really aggravates me that I'm having this problem with a new computer.

What do I try next?

Thank you for your help on this.

Louise

03-20-16    UPDATE ON THIS PROBLEM.

I installed Windows 7 Pro and haven't had a problem with start up since.

HP Recommended

Any luck with this .. this started happening with my DV7 - i have tried lot of things including re-Installing OS, recovery disk etc etc.. everytime stuck on Starting Windows ... fraustrated... 

HP Recommended

And the answer is the HP Hot Key Driver if you remove it it boots fine every time! And this goes for Windows 7 and

Windows 8.1 both had the same symptoms after the driver was installed but not before. The only fix I have is to

remove the Hot Key Driver and go without it's, either that or do a cold restart evey time you boot to start Windows.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.