Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Paviliong6-2226
My internal hard disk has been crashed can I use external harddisk drive to boot the laptop or use it as all purpose as we do with internal hard drive?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't think Windows 8 can be installed on an external USB HDD. You could check out the portable version of the OS. This link should be useful. 

Captain_WD.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hey there Kashyapgm 🙂 Welcome to the community! 

Some OSs can boot from external drives and can even be fully installed on them but not all of them. 

What External drive do you have? What OS would you like to use? 

the USB connection is somewhat unstable so you can't really install all OSs on USB drives. It may be possible on a eSATA drives but again, that depend on the specific OS that you have in mind. 

I would simply recommend to replace your failed drive on the laptop and use a new internal one. If you need help with suggestions for new drives or troubleshooting your old drive feel free to ask. 🙂

Captain_WD.

HP Recommended
Want to install window 8 and I have toshiba 1 tb hard disk of 3.0 usb port with data transfer speed 5gbps
HP Recommended

I don't think Windows 8 can be installed on an external USB HDD. You could check out the portable version of the OS. This link should be useful. 

Captain_WD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.