Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy m6-p013dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Yesterday I was playing a game on this laptop when the entire device suddenly froze and was completely unresponsive. I forced a shutdown and upon my attempt at rebooting, it gave me the "Boot Device not found" error.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? For whatever reason, HP didn't include any sort of System Repair/Recover disk or flashdrive so none of the fixes I've found on other forums will work for me unless they'll remedy that in my warranty dispute.

After several attempts, I managed to boot into the HP System Repair UEFI and ran a hard drive test to be met with this message: 

"Testing Drive: 1

Hard Drive SMART Check: FAILED

FAILURE ID : QC127L-8588AD-XD7WMG-609P03

PRODUCT ID : M1W20UA#ABA

Hard Drive 1 - Primary HDD Bay*

..."

(typed from reference photo)

All boot attempts therafter gave me a message stating that there was imminent failure detected and the boot process was halted to avoid damage.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? For whatever reason, HP didn't include any sort of System Repair/Recover disk or flashdrive so none of the fixes I've found on other forums will work for me unless they'll remedy that in my warranty dispute.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum !! PhantomDragon7

The hard drive has S.M.A.R.T. technology.  This tests your hard drive for possible failure.  In your case, it appears that your drive is ready to fail.  I suggest replacing with a new drive.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Welcome to the forum !! PhantomDragon7

The hard drive has S.M.A.R.T. technology.  This tests your hard drive for possible failure.  In your case, it appears that your drive is ready to fail.  I suggest replacing with a new drive.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the prompt response and for your time.

Yes, unfortunately the warranty was expired... But I still don't understand why they did not include the repair drive in the first place. Any idea why that may be?

Also, do you know if it will be possible to salvage anything on the drive after I put a new one in?

Finally, thank you so much for the link to order a new recovery drive... I've been trying to find that page for ages.

Hats off to you!

HP Recommended

You are very Welcome !!

All the Best !!   Thanks for being a member!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.