Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP G72
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently had to open up my HP G72 notebook in order to clean out the fan to prevent thermal shutdowns that I'd been experiencing for a month or so.

Following re-assembly the laptop works (and appears to be running a lot cooler than it was) but every time I turn it on or reboot it I get the System Information page display. Once I press Esc to close this I'm asked to select an OS even though Windows 7 is the only operating system available. Once I select this the computer boots as normal.

I had heard that this could be caused by a BIOS setting that I can change but I seem to be having trouble getting into the BIOS settings as no matter what I press as the computer turns on I just get the System Information page.

While I can still use the computer once I go through the process on each startup it is a bit inconvenient (and means I can't reboot the computer if I'm connected remotely as I can't then acknowledge the System Information and Boot Manager screens).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sort this out?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MKeeton

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP G72 notebook. I understand that your notebook is not booting into windows, and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting. 

• Perform hard reset and keep pressing ESC key on startup to boot into BIOS.
  • Restore the bios. (Click here and follow the document to restore the bios.)

If the issue is resolved and you appreciate my help,

Please click the "Accept as Solution" button and the "Thumbs Up".

Let me know how you make out.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Unfortunately I'm still unable to access the bios settings due to the system information screen. I am wondering though if this could be caused by a faulty keyboard.
I used an online keyboard tester and it reported that my F1 and F2 keys aren't working. In wondering if they faulty keys are registering on startup and overriding me pressing Esc.
HP Recommended

@MKeeton

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

It seems to be a hardware issue.

I request you to contact HP phone support for assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Following my hunch of it being a keyboard issue I purchased a new keyboard for around £10 on eBay and installed it. So far it seems that the new keyboard has solved the issue and so anyone experiencing similar issues may want to look down that route.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.