Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

My HP Pavilion (AMD Ryzen 7 5700U, Windows 10 64 bit) crashes when opening some video games; the screen goes completely black and nothing can be done except forcibly shutting down the PC using the power button.

There are no significant errors in the event viewer. I've tried updating the BIOS and drivers without resolving the issue.

I performed a hardware component test and discovered that the PC crashes when I run the CPU stress test (the crash occurs immediately upon starting the test).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

Immagine.png

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Faulty RAM can cause such crashes. You can check your RAM by searching for “Windows Memory Diagnostic” in your start menu and running the tool. Make sure that your power settings are not limiting the CPU performance. You can adjust these settings in the Control Panel under Power Options. Since the issue occurs during a CPU stress test, it could indicate a hardware problem with the CPU itself or the motherboard. If your laptop is still under warranty, consider contacting HP Support for a hardware check or repair. If the issue started recently, you could try performing a system restore to a point when everything was working fine. Try resetting the BIOS to its default settings. This can sometimes resolve issues caused by corrupted BIOS settings. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

thank you for the suggestions.

I've run the Windows Memory Diagnostic, which didn't detect any errors. I tried resetting the BIOS settings, but it didn't solve the issue.

I also removed the RAM sticks one by one, ran the CPU stress test, and the PC crashed again (I don't have other RAM sticks to try, but I don't think that both are faulty).

Unfortunately the PC is no longer under warranty and I don't think replacing the motherboard would be cost-effective.

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.