Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc0006la

Greetings to all, hope you can help me with my issue.

I have a hp omen 15 dc0006la. I bought it used in an auction without disks and charger. So, I  bough 2 ssd drives and used Hp Cloud recovery tool to reinstall the operating system. It all went very good but after some time, out of nowhere, the laptop did not boot at all. It just kept with a black screen without any message and didn't let me to press any "esc" to "F1-12" buttons too. The only thing that worked was to take out all disks and memories and replace them again, boot it and presss "Esc" button, and select any of the options that appear in the menu. After this, the laptop works normally until the next time the issue wants to appear. Unfortunately, that solution doesn't work anymore cause recently the issue keeps the laptop from booting so tried another option that was to reinstall windows keeping my files. It worked fine for 3 days and now I have the same issue again.

Hope this problem is not such a deal cause it is really annoying to do all the replace thing everytime .

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

After you bought it, did you install a new battery? 

The main battery supplies current to maintain the BIOS settings, including date/time.

Was it a "for parts only" laptop?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Yes, i forgot to mention that too, it came without battery. It had just an 8gb ram. I bought a new battery, charger, a 16 gb ram, and both solid state disks. The auction did not specify if it was a "for parts only". To put some context, the laptop was property of USA embassy here in my country. It was a lot of 2 idem laptops. 

I remember doing an BIOS update to a newer version and since that problem appeared, but i don't if it related to my issue. Also I upgraded to windows 11. On the contrary, the other laptop (that has a friend of mine) kept it on windows 10 and according to him it does not have my problem.

By the way, everytime I charge the laptop, it is displayed a message (photo attached).

Screenshot 2024-03-28 125840.png

HP Recommended

You can try recovering the BIOS to the previous version.

Use the Windows key + B key method.

Hold them both down and keep doing that until this is complete.

Press the power button and wait until a "recovering the BIOS message" appears.

The laptop may take up to a full minute to respond.

Did you install guaranteed compatible memory? 

That message could be because you may have a 45W adapter where a 65W or higher wattage power adapter is required

Your laptop does require a high powered adapter.

From the Maintenance & Service guide for the laptop 

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06219881.pdf (see chapter 3, page27, table 3-3)

Description and HP part number

150 W PFC SMART 4.5 mm Slim 917649-850
200 W PFC SMART SLIM 4.5 mm L00818-850
135 W PFC SMART SLIM RC 4.5 mm L15534-001
135 W PFC SMART SLIM RC 4.5 mm, for Latin America L15534-101

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I tried recovering with the method you mentioned but when beginned the restart process it said an error ocurred during the bios recovery. According to the photo uploaded, my BIOS version is the latest. I upload some photos. As you can see the battery needs a calibration but I already did the process and never got calibrated.

JR_94_0-1711650223246.png

JR_94_1-1711650369732.png

JR_94_2-1711650568782.png

JR_94_4-1711650624824.png

HP Recommended

I suggest trying to recover it again.

How many watts is the power adapter that you are using?

Calibration is a rather time consuming process.

Drain it all the way down and then plug in the power adapter and charge it fully.

Be aware that if you are using an underpowered power adapter, the battery will never charge properly. 

I have never had to do it before and I have replaced hundreds of batteries.

HP Recommended

Well, I tried to recover it again but it displayed same error. Well, according to charger label is a 200 watts. I did not calibrate the battery yet but I will give it a try, just need some time for that. Do you know any other way to reset the BIOS, in HP support page they have some older version that can be downloaded, but do not know which older version should be installed and how to do it. Is there any way to diagnosis the failure?

Regarding to charger/adapter, it is supposed to meet the laptop energy requirements cause is a 200 W and 10,3 A one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.