Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp dv7t-4100 Ww185av laptop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My laptop has been working fine until recently. Two days ago I was in a hotel room, wor king on my laptop and everything was fine. Then I plugged it in later on and tride to turn it back on and got no response. The only thing that happens, each time I press the power button, is the blue light right next to the power cord input blinks 3x. The battery has been useless on this laptop for years,  and I essentially have to plug it in everywhere I go. I'm fine dealing with that, as this laptop is getting older, but I definitely need to access all of my five holes on there. 

I've tried the reset options, by taking the battery out and trying to start that way. The only thing that I see are those blinking lights and nothing else. The screen stays black, no hard drive sounds etc. I'm looking at getting a new AC adapter, but want to make sure that's the right way to go. And I also want to double check the specs so I don't get the wrong adapter (if that's the actual problem). 

If I do need a new AC adapter, I'd like some information on wattage. I guess the replacement I got was lower wattage the my original. I think I went from 90 to 65, and I kept getting warnings that things may run slower. I didn't notice too much of a difference, but it might one of those things I got used to and a higher wattage power supply may be a good thing. I look forward to your replies and offer my thanks in advance! 

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Cantturnmeon,

Welcome to HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that your laptop does not start, only the LED next to the power input flashes 3 times.

Here is a document will help: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv7-4100-Select-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-se...

Please review the part of Symptom: LED lights do not glow, display is black, computer does not start on the above link. It lists all the possible causes of a computer not receiving power. 

If you need to purchase a new AC adapter, check the details on this Maintenance and Service Guide of the dv7 laptop. On Page 33, it listed all the compatible AC adapters. 

Please click the Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you. You can say thanks easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!     

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Cantturnmeon,

Welcome to HP Forums! I have read your post and wanted to help.

I understand that your laptop does not start, only the LED next to the power input flashes 3 times.

Here is a document will help: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv7-4100-Select-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-se...

Please review the part of Symptom: LED lights do not glow, display is black, computer does not start on the above link. It lists all the possible causes of a computer not receiving power. 

If you need to purchase a new AC adapter, check the details on this Maintenance and Service Guide of the dv7 laptop. On Page 33, it listed all the compatible AC adapters. 

Please click the Accept as Solution if you feel this post has helped you. You can say thanks easily by clicking the Thumbs Up below!     

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
Solution accepted. I have one on order. I'll report back here if things don't work out, but won't bother if works. Thanks!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.