Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Description of Problem: I'm getting a blank screen and crash whenever my NVIDIA card is enabled. It started off when I was playing a game, and then it started happening shortly after boot-up or when I tried to do anything. Now it crashes right at bootup or right after the display switches over from the onboard GPU during a fresh driver install.

I've had this computer for three years and the problem just started.

Troubleshooting: Tried everything I could think of honestly. Initially I was running Windows 7 and I tried every variation of NVIDIA driver version, including trying to get all my drivers from the HP site for this model. Then I upgraded my chipset drivers and it worked fine... for a day. After that it would crash right after bootup and I would have to go in safe mode do disable the driver to be able to log back in.

So I brought it to a repair place to run an analysis and they said that it was a software issue and not a hardware issue and that I need to do a clean install. So I wiped the drive and decided to try a clean install with Windows 10 but after I updated the drivers I'm getting the same issue right after bootup. I tried a few different drivers including a clean install with just the graphics driver but as soon as I would restart and the display would switch to the NVIDIA card during the install I would have a second of display and then it would go black and, a few seconds later, shut off. This would happen again at bootup until the video card is disabled from safe mode. I'm now using the latest NVIDIA driver (353.62) but I have to leave my card disabled in order to use the computer.

I'm completely out of ideas at this point and any help would be very much appreciated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.