Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Probook G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi. I've not found an identical thread or a solution for this. I hope someone can help.

I have a HP Probook G1. Details in screenshot below.

I want to install additional memory and bought the following: SAMSUNG 8GB 204 pin DDR3L-1600 SO-DIMM (1600Mhz, PC3L-12800S, CL11, 1.35V Low Power for Notebook)

When I install the memory, the laptop no longer boots up. After pressing the on/off button, I just get a black screen, the capslock and numlock LEDs blink and the cooler fan runs at high revs. Nothing else happens.

I've tried installing only the new memory and installing it in the second memory card slot with the original memory still in place. In both cases the laptop fails to start.

I've tried doing a complete system reset (battery removed, start on power only) etc. but to no avail.

Please help! The laptop is unbelievably slow with only 4GB memory. 😞

system.png

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please folow the below links to find a solution:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

OR

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01732674

Troubleshooting LED Blink Codes or Beep Codes During Startup or Boot

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
i almost have the same case. i was operating my out of warrenty hp pavillion dv6-3240ca and decided to tweak the power setting to hibernate when i close it's lid both on battery and Ac, 12 hours later when i powered it on,the screen was black with the fan runing normal,the caps lock led light could blink every 2-3 seconds,orange wifi light on the keybord. always on 2 lights orange and white to my right hand next to charging light. led light on the hp logo on the back of the screen is on, no internal finger print sensos light (led). i trid to solve by removing the rams and coms battry for time but nothing. connect an external monitor still not display. what could be the error? my pc has uptodate windows 7 Sp1 64bit and eset smart security 9 and office 2013 installed. it has been working before all this mess. sorry for my explaination, PLZ HELP I CAN'T AFFORD A NEW LAPTOP FOR MY STUDIES.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, according to the capslock blink codes on the doc below:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674

Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

this is a h/w failure within either the CPU or the motherboard.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news, but you are better off buying a new pc at $199 than spending $300 to replace the motherboard or the CPU.

let me know if there's something else i can do to help.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
can u explain into details how that can be possible, i mean is my motherboard dead?
HP Recommended

My apologies but i can't give you the details as to how the issue may have occurred as there could be multiple reasons, besides a tech will have to look into your pc in order that they could identify what exactly caused the issue.

i would recommend you call hp, so you can have a free repair done, if the pc is covered by the HP warranty.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
thank u.. i will take it to a technician
HP Recommended

The pleasure is all mine,

if you want to show your appreciation, please click on the thumbs up and/or mark my comment as Solution.

please reply if you need further assistance, have a good day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Ooh my! what a suprise, my pc is back to life just on it's own. i just left it off for 3 days.
HP Recommended

What do you do if the caps lock light is just dead. No blinks, but has the other symptoms?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.