Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP 15-af131dx

My HP 15-af131dx wont let me boot from a flash drive. I was able to boot from the flash drive on my hp mini 110, and in the past I have ran Ubuntu on a flash drive on the 15-af131dx and it has worked fine. How can I boot from the flash drive?

HP mini 110 boot manager. As you can see, the laptop sees the flash drive and alows me to boot from it.IMG_1616.JPG

HP 15-af131dx boot manager. As you can see, it doesnt show the option to boot from the flash drive. IMG_1619.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

A couple of suggestions you can try...If they don't work, unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions.

1.  Go into the BIOS and enable legacy mode, which should disable secure boot.

2. Boot from one of the notebook's USB 2 ports.  It will not boot from a USB3 port.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

A couple of suggestions you can try...If they don't work, unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions.

1.  Go into the BIOS and enable legacy mode, which should disable secure boot.

2. Boot from one of the notebook's USB 2 ports.  It will not boot from a USB3 port.

HP Recommended

When I tried to enable legacy mode I got this warning:

IMG_1620.JPG

Should I try something else?

HP Recommended

There is nothing else to try that I know of.

I don't know what the consequences would be if you change the setting.

Maybe you can change it back after you boot from the USB drive.

If you are wanting to install W7 you will have to change the setting because W7 will not work with secure boot enabled.

HP Recommended

I changed the setting and windows 10 still boots up fine. I was able to boot from the flash drive.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.