Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 755/745/725 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The latest BIOS for the HP EliteBook 755/745/725 G3 references a "Electronic Label Restore Tool" to remove a POST error message after flashing the BIOS to 1.08.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7815285&swItemId=ob_160552_1&swEnvOid=419...

As per the release notes: "NOTE: For systems that did not ship with BIOS version 1.05 or later, this utility may be required if the BIOS has been updated. Visit the BIOS and drivers page on www.support.hp.com, and follow the instructions using the HP Electronic Label Restore Tool."

This tool cannot be found on the support website.

If flashing the BIOS causes this issue for systems that shipped with a BIOS version prior to 1.05 why is the tool not available to correct the issue?

Better question is why was this BIOS update released at all if it can cause system to stop for 15 seconds during POST if you do no have the tool to correct POST message as outlined in the release notes and in the POST message?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Same problem here with 725 G3 from 1.02 to 1.08.

And while I'm at it, I'll point out other stupid things about HP software.

Among the files included in the BIOS update is b.bat, which looks for Hewlett-Packard directory in E:, F:, G:, and H:, and if one exists, it runs AMDFlash.exe -A 0x191000 -L 0x32000 -D <drive-letter>:\Hewlett-Packard\E-label\ELabelBackup.bin

I assume -A is "at" and -L is "length."  It then runs HPBIOSUPDREC.exe

Of course, I have no Hewlett-Packard directory since I wiped everything and clean-installed Win7 to get rid of all those useless software.  I don't even know if this batch file is what is run by the BIOS update program, but I wonder if it has something to do with the missing E-Label.

There's also HPBIOSUPDREC64.exe, which I presume is for 64-bit OS.  Which one did the update program run?

HpqPswd[64].exe is also there, with no explanation of what they do.

Lastly, it appears that BIOS update continues to do something after the reboot.  It was beeping for a while without any display.  I actually tried to power cycle it in the middle, which probably wasn't a good idea at all.  After it managed to boot, it went on to update USB-C firmware, which actually "failed" according to the status.  So I chose "reboot & try again," but it never did retry.  Windows BIOS update software never warned me about that.

I felt uncomfortable with that, so I actually flashed it again, this time using BIOS's built-in mechanism.  I put the N73_0108.bin on a USB flash drive (\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\New\N73_0108.bin) and it flashed fine.  In fact, it was WAY faster than doing it under Windows.  What a waste of time Windows update software was.  AND, at the end, it actually warned me that after reboot, computer might beep and flash codes for a while and I should just leave it alone.  Geeze, thanks for that warning... after the fact.  But of course, it did no such thing this time and booted right along other than the stupid warning about missing E-Label.  USB-C port seems to work, despite the last status telling me about failed update (to 1.03 I think), but I'm left with dirty taste in my mouth about the actual state of what was and wasn't updated.

I don't give a BEEP about the E-Label.  If HP isn't going to supply the E-Label Restore Tool, give use BIOS 1.09 or something with an option to disable the check, so we don't get that warning everytime it boots.

HP Recommended
According to FCC publication 784748, my machine is now non-compliant. I demand HP fix this within a day, or send me a *NEW* replacement that is compliant, or I'll have no choice but to report this to FCC. You think I'm joking? Maybe. But I'll tell you one thing. I paid a lot of money for this machine and it's been disappointment after another, such as broken display where the back-light would turn on and off depending on how the screen portion was twisted. It got to the point where the back-light wouldn't even stay on unless I held the screen twisted one way. I actually ripped it apart myself and found misconnected connector for the LCD module and fixed it. Elite quality control right there. And one of the touchpad key never felt quite right from the beginning. Elite component. Oh, and a key had popped out when I walked with it, in a padded notebook bag, for maybe 10 minutes. Thankfully, it popped right back in, but wow, an Elite quality....
HP Recommended

Hi.

I had the same problem. I found what I needed here.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7815280&swItemId=ob_160966_1&swEnvOid=419...

I used a memory stick and followed the instructions and it worked for me.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the link DavisMaisey. Unfortunatly the tool did not correct the problem on my system.

I ran into two issues.

The first issue is if you have a BIOS setup password set the tool will not work correctly. When you run the installer and it starts building the key the script uses the BIOS Configuration Utility (BCU) to save your current BIOS setting, adjusting them to allow the key to boot, and then allow the setting to be restored after the tool finishes its update. With a BIOS setup password set the BCU cannot make the necessary changes to ensure the system will boot the key. If you are not paying attention the BCU error message, simply scrolls past as the script continues to run and you still get the message that the "E-label preparation was successful". Simplest workaround is to remove the BIOS setup password before running the tool and then add the password back once the tool finishes its work.

The second issue is wouldn’t update the labels on my system. When the system boots off of the USB key it ends with an error of “SKU or Device Config different” and leaves me with the same POST error.

At least it has worked for someone.

HP Recommended

I dont think this will help but I will replicate the steps I took as I had a couple of issues myself.

Firstly, I reformatted the usb drive to be FAT32.

Then I ran the tool to put the data onto the USB.

I then ran the tool to update the bios.

I then rebooted with the memory stick in and it ran with no issues.

Maybe if you reset the BIOS to factory settings it might work.

HP Recommended

All excellent suggestions, unfortunately the steps you listed still did not resolve my issue. (including BIOS Factory settings) It was worth a try though.

HP Recommended
Same problem for me. My machine's SKU is T1C17UT#ABA, but there is no such SKU in the ELabel\E-Label directory. There's one without the "#ABA", but considering there are other listings with #ABA, I assume they must match exactly. I even tried to hack the ElectronicLabelRestore.efi, but it's a compiled binary, so there's only so much I can do with it. The day is almost up.
HP Recommended
Sorry it didn't work.

4 options left in my book then.

1. If you know the mb model then reflash it. Id never recommend that though.

2. Wait for HP to fix it.

3. Send it back.

4. Smash it to bits with a hammer.

HP Recommended

Don't give up hope.

I called HP support line and got them to send me a custom(?) version of the E-Label Restore Tool and it worked, so no more annoying screen at every boot.  I have no idea if the version sent to me was customized specifically for my SKU, so I'm not going to offer it to anyone else, but hopefully they'll make a new version available on their download page.

I actually called them Monday, but that went nowhere.  The guy I talked to on Monday didn't even record my phone number, let alone give me a case number.  But the two I dealt with today, Robert & Casey, were very nice.  Credit where it's due.  Of course, the problem shouldn't have existed in the first place, but that's not support guys' fault.

By the way, I actually edited the E-Label jpg image for my machine (T1C17UT -- #ABA apparently doesn't matter) before trying the new tool, so every time I display the E-Label on my machine, I get a slightly hacked image.  I won't say what I put on the image, but it served me as a good stress relief against HP.  LOL

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.